1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aperture Raw too red at high ISO

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by thearne3, Jun 23, 2012.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I am a die-hard Aperture user, but find high ISO RAW processing very frustrating for flesh tones. RAW has a strong red/magenta cast which is totally absent in jpegs - and VERY hard to eliminate. It helps to turn 'Hue Boost' to zero, but even so, the result is unacceptable.

I offer a case in point - Peter Yarrow at a concert last night...

Jpeg OOC:

20120622-20-21-01_6221825%2520%25281%2529.

RAW:

20120622-20-21-01_6221825.

I have tried adjusting using Curves - very labor intensive, and the jpeg wins based on color, sometimes offset by DR or other factors.

I have a trial copy of LR - no such problems. Nor is there a real issue at lower ISOs in Aperture. The Aperture RAW engine for the E-M5 is simply not good at high ISO - and it lacks the RAW controls to make it right.

Anyone have any insights? Suggestions?

2. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I've just turned to this section to post about the same issue. In fact, since I upgraded to Aperture 3.3 all raw images I import are too red.

I also tried Lightroom and it is much more faithful. I was very happy with Aperture before. Very puzzling.

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    In the Colors panel lower the red saturation a little bit. Maybe a little adjustment of the luminance too. Or magenta if that seems to work better. You can dial in the color range affected by selecting the color you want to adjust, in this case red. Then select the dropper and click on the area in the photo.

Fred

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I don't use Aperture and so I am unsure what tools you have. The first thing I would do is go into your color temperature and tint controls. You should be able to good color with just those.

5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Yes, this is the easiest solution - but it's labor intensive and in many cases, you need to brush in the change on the flesh, rather than apply to the whole photo, ie, extra work.

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    But the wrong solution. You need to color balance the image. The entire image image is out of balance, not just the flesh tones. You don't have color temperature and tint sliders when converting the RAW? Color temperature is a blue/yellow shift and tint is a green/magenta shift. Between both you should be able to get where you need to be. And it looks like both the color temperature and tint are in the wrong place--it looks like the image needs to be yellower and greener (I would start with the tint to see where the color temperature needs to be shifted).

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I agree with Hikari. Get the white balance first. If the problem is consistent you can make a preset and apply the fix automatically.

Fred

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    The latest Aperture... a free update to Aperture 3 users offers a white balance that can target skin tones ....that might help

K

9. With that in mind, I should add that I have had good results using the white balance eye dropper, at least to get things pretty close to where they need to be before going further.

10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    In the RAW pane there's a slider called "Hue". It will be set at 1 which is both the default setting and the maximum setting (the actual value changes for different cameras but whatever the value for a given camera is, that value shows as "1" for the slider). This setting affects reds. Just drop it to 0 and see if that helps.

If it does, save that as a preset and you can then apply it whenever you want to just by swapping the RAW processing for a given image by selecting that preset.

There's more information on this in the section on RAW processing in the full manual which you can download in PDF form from Apple online.

11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    So, I just went to the Aperture manual and WB and Tint sliders are there. Since you have a strong magenta cast, I might start with tint. There is an eyedropper, and as Allen pointed out, while it might not get to the right place, it could get you close.

12. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I've found that this problem only happens (for me anyway) with Aperture 3.3 when camera WB is set to auto, if camera WB is set to a specific WB then Aperture respects this in it's initial conversion and produces a more faithful image. I think it's a bug in the way Aperture 3.3 handles Olympus Raw files - it didn't happen with 3.2.

13. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I was just about to buy Aperture in light of the new 3.3 update because even then it would be cheaper than upgrading to Lughtroom 4.

Too bad this bug exists. Have you reported it to Apple?

14. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Don't let this put you off. Aperture is a wonderful tool. I've been trialling Lightroom over the last few days and it is such a relief to put it behind me and get back to using Aperture. I find it quicker, more intuitive and better organised.

Btw, I've found the new "Skin Tone" white balance tool really excellent, I don't know how it works but whatever it does, it does it very well.

15. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I really want to get on Aperture. The Lightroom UI annoys me to no end. Having separate modules aside I hate the fact that panes are on both sides of the image. Why? They're all collapsible, leave them on one side!

I'm tempted to check out Aperture. Going to read more on this topic, as well as using external drives for Vaults.