1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aperture Preset Challenge. Giving $30 to the winner!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Iconindustries, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ok so I've just been pursuing through the Leica monochron thread and I love, the black and white rendering the awesome camera produces. I know it there should be a wow factor considering the cost of anything named Leica. For now I can't afford one but I reckon hey there are ways to get the same processing at least. So I propose a challenge for anyone to participate and what I'm looking for is an Aperture preset that will make Raw files from my OM-D looks similar in black and white rendering as the Leica. I know there will be people who say it's nearly impossible to make a picture look like it's from an Leica. But hey lets have fun.

For the preset I like, I'll send $30 dollars via paypal to the winner.

Here's a Raw file from my OM-D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbi0ay27ff927tw/PB180599.ORF

Here are some pictures I chose randomly from google images after searching 'Leica Monochron' Something similar to the processing on these is what I'm looking for. I know there will be subtle differences in the pictures I've linked but it's a ball park.

(This preset will mostly be used on portraits. I am not a professional and the preset wont be used to make me money. It's just for fun)

http://www.overgaard.dk/thorstenovergaardcom_copyrighted_graphics/L9034842-2_CROP_GIFT-640w.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20125/big_2221_L1026597_1.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20125/big_2221_L1023278_1.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3u0mlcJLD1r3k4kco1_500.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I don't use Aperture, but with LR4.3 and Niks Silver EFX I came out with this:

The Monochrom seems to take subdued, darker images, with very smooth "grain" and a bit of a "Pan" look.. almost "seleniumish" (new word).

So I chose "underexposed" preset, added the "Ilford Pan" film type, chose selenium, and removed the zit on her lower lip.

:biggrin:

L9034842-2_CROP_GIFT-640w.

• Like Like x 1
  3. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Hmmm no responses... ok, then.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    There is actually a Monocrome in my household, and from the mutterings of my other half, it seems that processing monocrome files is a steep learning curve.

Anyway here is my take on what is probably not even worth calling a preset.

Just the regular Black and white conversion, with a boost to mid contrast and simple s curve to pull down the shadows a bit

Screen_Shot_2013-02-02_at_18_55_21.

let me know if I am getting anywhere near what you are looking for

cheers

K

• Like Like x 1
  5. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I think you need more than one raw file to come up with a preset that works with more than one file.

Leicaism.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Brady , I don't think any preset will give you what you really desire! So better get saving!
    Given your wonderful original a few tweaks, lovely lady...reminds me of someone I used to know......
    *cries into beer*

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for kicking off and starting the ball rolling mate. I like what I see, just a shame we can't make it into a Aperture Preset. I'm pretty amazed how similar you got the image to look like the guy with the headphones, nice work. I'm kinda thinking I would like her skin to be a little whiter. On my old MBP I had both LR and Aperture but I was trying to cut down on using both. I liked LR because it had great ability to do Black and white but Aperture should be able to do the same.

Hey Kevin, I was hoping you chimed in. I knew you are pretty proficient with Aperture. I never really knew how the curves are supposed to work and I had a fiddle this morning and shaped it similar to what you describe in the screen shot. Works great! I tried it on a picture and it's not bad at all really. I think I should probably tone the skin down a bit, looks a bit whitewashed hey.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8441003374/" title="Black and white Experimenting by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 8441003374_fbb629abe9_c. "800" height="533" alt="Black and white Experimenting"></a>

Yeah you're right, it's gonna be a bit hard but at least I'll have a base to work from.

Hey mate (John?) I took your advice and checked with ebay and yeah....I think I might be sticking with my OM-D for some time yet. Why they cost so much I have no idea. The girl is a great actor and singer, I think she'll go places one day. I really like your rendition, maybe just a little brighter on the skin. I suppose a little exposure should fix that hey. Did you process this in Aperture?

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    looking good Brady

you can use the little cross hair thing beside the eyedroppers to 'target' a particular tone on the curve, and then pull that down.

put the 30 dollars to your monocrome fund....run another 264 challenges like this and you will have saved enough to buy a monochrome :)

K

9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hell, that's not even a year's worth of daily challenges, and he only has to cut down on a few beers a day at the pub to pay for it.

That may be the best advice of all in this thread :)

10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Guys, how do you define the difference of mono pictures taken from monochrome camera/film stock to those converted from color? Does it have better/smoother tone curves because it can dedicate 100% of the color space to a single shade rather than splitting it 3-4 ways?

11. Huelight

Huelight Mu-43 Regular

Aug 15, 2011
    I am working on a Leica Monochrom preset for LR4.3 but unfortunately I only have one shot of a colorchecker, I need a few more to nail it properly.

If anybody knows were I can get a Monochrom shot of a 24 patch colorchecker chart please PM me.

Anyway here is your image through my beta LR4.3 Monochrom preset:-

[​IMG]