Aperture plug-in programs

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by fastcar888, May 21, 2011.

1. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    What plug in programs do you use with Aperture? Are they very difficult to use and take a lot of time to learn? Any examples? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi fatstcar888,

I do use the full suite of applications from NIK.

I also use BordersFX which is a free plug in.

they all work pretty well for me, though the new version of borderFX seems to have a few issues with images that have been straightened... and applies the border to the "pre straightened version", it can look like a crooked tablecloth if you aren't careful.

That's it for me though....

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  3. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I love Photomatix Pro.

It is both a stand alone app and a plug-in for merging bracketed images into HDR composites. It is not difficult to use, but the range and versatility of the tools it contains take some time to learn. A big piece of the learning is how to capture good images for the HDR process.

Version 4 of the full package has excellent batch processing and anti-ghosting tools, which is why I use the stand alone app in addition to the plug-in. You can even use it to create stunning B&W images from your color shots. Price is not bad, for the utility of the program.

I have been playing with the Silver Efex Pro trial version the last few days, and like it very much. However, I think the price is rather steep for what it does. The plug-in now costs more than the full Aperture app downloaded from Mac App Store.

-Steve

• Like Like x 1
  4. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Hi Alan,

Do you use Color Efex Pro the most ? Its seems like a good program. I am a little bit concerned because most of the Nik Videos have on their site have Photoshop as their default program. So it is rather ambiguous to me as to whether or not they work the same way with Aperture.

I am not certain if they integrate seamlessly with Aperture or only Photoshop. I have no plans to ever change to Photoshop (and Apple guy). Thanks for your thoughts.

5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi fastcar888

The NIK plug in operate the same way irregardless (within reason) of the host application.. ie Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture etc.

You will find some tutorial created in Aperture and Lightroom there. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter.. once the plugin in launched they look the same.

Alan

6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Steve,

That's a point. My feeling is that it's allowed me to dismiss Photoshop, and the inherent Adobe upgrade treadmill which ensues.

Now that I know I have a stable import application, Aperture, which can also stand alone, along with a suite of powerful tools. I happy not launching CS5.

To me it's been worthwhile... I hear you though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    It is my hope that the plug-in developers will join the Mac App Store and iOS ecosystem. That would give them a much wider market that could increase revenue even after lowering price and giving Apple its 30%.

Bravo to Apple for putting Aperture into that lower price and higher sales volume model, even though I bought mine at full price before the App Store existed. This will benefit us consumers both with lower prices and more competition amongst the third party developers to produce great software.

I am too much of a curmudgeon to ever be happy with "the Adobe treadmill."

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  9. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Some of the NIK plugins work differently in PS than they do in Aperture or Lightroom.

For example, in Photoshop they return a new layer so you still have your original (your original is another file next to the manipulated file in Ap or Lr). No big deal there.

Also, you can brush effects on in PS.

Bottom line is you get the full effect with a little more convenience in PS but you get the full effect in Ap and Lr.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just thought of another difference -- using the NIK plugins as Smart Filters.

When you do a manipulation in PS using a Smart Filter, you can re-open the file at a later date and adjust the manipulation. It opens in the plugin right where you left off.

In Ap and Lr you bake the pixels with the manipulation. You'd have to start again to do something different.

11. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Nice to know someone has developed a way to make Photoshop non destructive..

Aperture and Lightroom are both non destructive image editors already, we expect the edited image to live apart from our camera RAW file.

Might a be a nice benefit to Photoshop users actually.

The brushing sounds cool too.

12. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    the complete topaz plug in package

13. Does Aperture3 automatically maintain the original out of the camera RAW even after processing the image using the Nik plug-ins? Is this what you mean by "non-destructive"? Or do you just make a duplicate of the original RAW photo before processing?
    iMac scheduled for delivery today. Decided on Aperture3 with probably the Complete Nik set. Originally was only going to purchase Silver Efex with maybe HDR later, but the price difference for the complete set vs. Silver alone is minimal.

14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Noel,

Yes. The original RAW remains, the NIK package creates a TIFF file in the same directory, or Project Folder.

Which iMac did you get? I'll bet you're excited for it to arrive!

15. Thanks Alan for the info.
    Base 21.5" with 8GB SDRAM. Was thinking about upgrade to 2.8 with i7, but the extra $400 would have zeroed out the funds for this year. Printer issues. Old hp 7960 is starting to give me fits. Consider the cost of ink & paper it's time to retire the hp. Price difference will go to the printer fund.
    Delivery is tomorrow. Forgot May has 31 days. Thought today was June 1st.

16. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    topaz complete bundle. Works really well

17. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    Unfortunately the Topaz layers program can't be used with Aperture 3.

I really like Topaz Denoise.

BTW Shoturtle, is there a way in Topaz to view the files at less than 100%?

18. robsonj

robsonj Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2011
    Just for the record, the Nik plugins are every bit as destructive as photoshop. When launching a plugin, Aperture will create a TIFF file with all adjustments applied, destructively. CHanges made in the plugin are written to the TIFF file, destructively. If you then launch another plugin on the TIFF file, its changes will be applied to the same TIFF file, destructively.

If you launch CS5 from Aperture, Aperture will similarly create a TIFF file, though with CS5 you do have the layers option, similarly achieved for Aperture plugin by duplicating the TIFF file before each plugin edit.

All in all, I'd say CS5 is less destructive than the Nik plugins given the option of layers you have in the CS5 TIFF or PSD file.

That said, the Nik plugins are the best, they have reduced my usage of CS5 a lot, though when fine control is needed, especially for portraiture and touchups, you can't beat the power of CS5's layer masks in conjunction with the Nik plugins.

19. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Too much dough for hobby use on multiple machines...

Hi,

I'll give you my full thought for moving away from PS/CS5 I'm assuming that's the application you refer to. CS5 as you know includes other components which are very useful industry standards. InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro etc. as well as other customizations to go along with Photoshop.

* Photoshop runs on one (1) computer per license. That's big big bucks if you have a desktop and laptop, or even more machines in use.

If money is no object, or you're in a design studio environment, that's costly but fine...

However, on the other hand...

1. Aperture from the APP store runs on every machine registered to your APP account. So, desktop, laptop, additional desktop (in my case) as well as my wife's mini..... for $80.

2. The NIK package works the same way. It's on my primary desktop editing machine, and my laptop.. no extra charge...

3. Aperture shares it's Project Libraries between your machines. I can access the library on my primary desktop from my laptop... a nice convenience. In effect it becomes a server for your project libraries.

I do not alwayss use the same computer in my office or home. I take my laptop when I travel... nice to have my photo editing software available... not at home / office on the desktop machine. Both Aperture and NIK allow me to use both machines, no second, third, or fourth license required..

Those reasons drove my desire to end the PS/CS5 dependence. NOT that PS is a bad application, it isn't. It's the preeminent cross platform "graphic design" application in use today. It is simply too expensive to purchase and install on multi machines for hobby use.

• Like Like x 1
  20. robsonj

robsonj Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2011
    Aperture will only run on one machine at once though, unless they've changed that. CS5 similarly is allowed to run on one machine at once, technically it will run one many machines at the same time, but the terms of the license state one machine at once, so not much difference there, I do this all of the time with my iMac & Air.

Believe me I am with you on the use of Aperture and Nik plugins over photoshop, its just that you made it sound like the plugins were non-destructive which they are not. I didn't want people getting the wrong idea.

• Like Like x 1