1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aperture or Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jmel777, Apr 27, 2011.

1. jmel777

jmel777 New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2011
    Kansas City Area
    Since I am new, please forgive the redundant question but both have newer releases so I am wondering which to move to at this point in time.

Camera is the E-PL2 and currently NO support for RAW by either one (yes RC 3.4 of Lightroom has support but that is still a release candidate).

Also, I have invested in the NIK bundle so this is the other factor, which works best with NIK plugins? The bundle supports both.

I am a MAC guy and run this on a MBPro with the newer i7 2.66GHz processor and 4 GB RAM (assuming this is indeed a factor).

TIA

2. hendrik78m

hendrik78m Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2011
    i dont know about lightroom, but i use aperture and the old NIK bundle. It runs smoothly with NIK plugins. Love the "vault" backup system in aperture and ease of syncing photos with my iphone. the recent release of aperture includes powerful quick brushes and curve tool. the new aperture also cost less than lightroom (from mac apps store: $80 if im not mistaken)

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Both are excellent programs, both offer a onestop solution entirely geared to photographers needs.

Both help you organise and deliver your images as well as edit and manipulate them.

Both offer a non destructive workflow which I personally find a very liberating way of working.

In the end the main difference between them comes down to the user interface. I use Aperture, mainly for historical reasons ( I used to work for Apple :))

Both programs are available as a 30 day free trial version - so my suggestion would be to download them and try them out .

Aperture does have a price advantage at this point in time - but both programs offer excellent value for money - you will probably not ever need another piece of software to handle your images, though the NIK bundle is an excellent add-on for both programs

cheers

K

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    What Kevin said (except the part about having worked for Apple - I never did!).

Both are great. Both work perfectly with the Nik plug-ins. I prefer Aperture because its so well integrated with everything else the Mac does and LR is more of a standalone. But LR probably has a few specific advantages in terms of noise reduction and straightening lens key-stoning on architectural shots. But they're mostly neck and neck in terms of strong points and weak points and the differences will probably get smaller as they continue to evolve. In terms of EPL2 support, sometimes Apple is faster to support new cameras, sometimes Adobe is - your guess is as good as anyone's on that.

Like he said, try 'em and if one just seems more logical to you, go with that one. If not, Aperture's a lot cheaper these days...

-Ray

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm a Lightroom user and a relatively recent convert from Capture One and Raw Developer (Iridient Digital). I also have some experience with Aperture but preferred the results and layout of Lightroom.

One of the things which hasn't been mentioned is that Lightroom tends to add support for new cameras much more quickly than Aperture does. Lightroom 3.4 is now a final release and supports the E-PL2. Aperture support may come today, or it may take months. Even if it comes today, you may be waiting a long time for support with your next camera.

6. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    For me it was a simple matter of workflow/interface. I tried Lightroom first, then Aperture. While Adobe has some good features that Aperture lacks, like Ray S mentioned above, I did not like the workflow it used. It's more personal I suppose, but Aperture seems more simple to me. I don't think it's possible to predict which is better for one person. Because those trials are fully functional, the best way to find out is to test drive them both.

Also, with the recent reduction in price on Aperture, you can get some aftermarket plugins that specialize in noise reduction and still be less expensive than Lightroom. It's almost comical to think that several plugins you can get for Aperture now are more expensive than the program itself.

7. jmel777

jmel777 New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2011
    Kansas City Area
    So here is a curve ball,
    I also need a smaller point and shoot. The new Olympus XZ1 is way cool, but....
    I can get a free (you pay for it in the cost, I know) license of Lightroom if I get the Leica D-Lux 5.

Any opinions...

8. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I prefer the interface and the flow in Aperture. In the end I chose LR because at the time there was greater depth of support for it in terms of tutorial etc.

I do not feel there is any substantive difference in performance between them. Your MacBook will be run either very well.

As for the Leica and free LR - don't wimp out: just get an M9 and you also get LR..:biggrin:

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    If you are at all involved with education you can get a great academic price for Lightroom. Lightroom is $89 academic price vs. $179 for Aperture (academic price).

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, but you can get Aperture for something like $80 on Apples new App store online, so the academic price is, uhhhh, academic. But the academic price for LR is not academic because the retail for it is something like $300 or more I think.

-Ray

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I guess the point is that for students and teachers, the price is about the same for the two apps ($89 vs $80) whereas for everyone else, Aperture is much cheaper.

As a teacher, I bought LR3 and Photoshop CS5 together for under $300. I'm not sure if the educational versions are eligible for upgrades though.

12. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I feel that both programs are capable of achieving the same end ultimately. And if I were forced to use one or the other, I would probably be fairly happy either way.

I've been a dedicated Macintosh user since 1994 or so... I love Apple products.

But I chose Lightroom because the aftermarket support, tutorials, and the breadth and depth of free and paid Presets, Templates, and such for Lightroom on the web is HUGE. I think the user base of Lightroom is probably magnitudes greater than Aperture, which does make a big difference in terms of aftermarket and thrid party support and products.

Adobe is also very good at updating support for new cameras that are continually coming onto market.

Lightroom integrates exceptionally well with Photoshop, which has been my mainstay image editing program since version 2.0.

Now, I do the vast majority of my image processing and editing in Lightroom, finishing off in Photoshop for detail pixel editing, if need be, and if needed for certain capabilities, such as layer blending, that Photoshop is needed for. Otherwise, I live in Lightroom and cannot imagine doing my image processing and client presentation without Lightroom.

As an image presentation tool, Lightroom has increased my bottom line as a professional photographer by up to 30% or so due to the ability to present numerous variations/renditions of a given image and show how those other images would look with such variations applied to them. I am totally thrilled with Lightroom.

13. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thee is no doubt that if starting from scratch today I would get Aperture. I have complete confidence in both applications, and appreciate the larger ecosystem of LR, but the latest price difference is compelling.

14. las Palm as

las Palm as Mu-43 Regular

lightroom its better for noise reduction...

15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If you are looking for a more editing option, then aperture. Lightroom is more of a photo managment and color lab software and a less of an editor. But if the editing features are not big, they both do the management and color lab stuff well and both work well with plug in's.

I went with aperture 3 when it first came out for the editing part. And at 79 dollars form the app store. It is 100 less then lightroom. And if you want an editor with light room, that will be another 80 at least for element 9.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmmm

Can you be more specific? What editing options does Aperture offer over LR?

17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    you can clone out things with aperture 3 is just one thing you can do.

18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I chose Lightroom over Aperture several years ago for the following reasons:

A. Aperture was more of a resource hog than Lightroom at the time.
    B. The organization of folders in Lightroom was identical to the folder structure on the hard drive.

As I mentioned, my decision was made several years ago, so they may not apply. But be especially aware of B. Prior to Lightroom, I had my photos in iPhoto, which maintains a byzantine series of nested folders to manage your photos. Transferring out of iPhoto was such a PITA that I swore never to use another photo management tool that didn't maintain an easy-to-understand folder system that would facilitate moving to another photo management system 10, 20 years down the road if I want to.

Granted, I do miss some of the neat perks and integration features that all Apple software has, but I'm taking the long view on this...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    LR 3 has pretty nifty clone and healing tools, so I am not sure what you mean. Most of the pros I work with that use LR regard it primarily as an editing tool and spend less and less time in PS.

20. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I got lr3 for 99 buck last month, maybe I have not found that feature yet. Still going through through it. Great color lab software. The aperture 3 can edit more. The full photoshop is the best editor, and most pros I know use that. But lr3 is not as good as element 9. the levels and curve and blur work better with photoshop