1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aperture on start up

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Feb 26, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    My E-PL5 has an annoying quirk - the aperture goes back to f1.8 when it's turned on. I've missed the odd shot by overexposing. Does anyone know how to get the camera to remember its last setting?

2. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    I've noticed the same thing with my E-PL5 but it doesn't happen all the time. I just turned it on and it was at f/1.7 which is what I had been shooting at the last time I used it. I fiddled it around to other apertures and turned it off then back on and it held onto the setting. BUT...every once in a while I'll notice it's at f/1.8 when I haven't set it there. Wish I could offer some better help than confirming it's not unique to your camera.

3. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    You probably have the Reset Lens off which will leave the lens in the same aperture and i believe shutter speed that you used last. Go to the menu then the gears menu, its in A AF/MF.

4. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes - that's it. If Reset Lens is set to off, the aperture on start up remains where it was when turned off. Always wondered what that setting meant. I assumed it was something that applied to power zooms or such like. Would be helpful if the on-screen explanation said more than just "resets the position of the lens"!

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Reset lens only resets the focus to infinity. It doesn't do anything with the last aperture setting. If you are using Aperture priority, it will always stay at the last value set in the camera & by switching it off to change lenses, it will keep the same value or if the lens doesn't have as large a value as the one previously will be set to the largest for that lens. If the setting was f/8 it will stay at that value for all (most) lenses when attached. The thing that will change the aperture is by using Auto (on the dial), possibly Program or Shutter Priority etc.. I tend to use Aperture Priority most of the time.

:drinks:

6. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks - you're right. "Reset Lens" has no effect on the aperture.

Some more careful experimentation has revealed that the camera remembers the aperture that was selected when the 'Myset' setting was saved (at least when in A mode) This is not a particularly useful feature! I've been playing around with settings and saving them as Mysets and it seems I more often than not had f1.8 selected when I saved, so I assumed the camera was reseting to this, which is not the case.

7. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Use a lens with an aperture ring. ;-)

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That sounds like an Irish answer! :wink: :biggrin:

9. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK