1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Aperture on iPad rumor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SMaturin, May 19, 2011.

1. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Apple Patent Reveals Aperture Coming to Touch Display Devices - Patently Apple

6a0120a5580826970c01538e94eeac970b-800wi.

I doubt this is coming anytime soon, as I think it would require much faster chips and a retina display to really be useable, as well as much more storage than current ipad models have.

But wouldn't it be awesome to be able to shoot with an eyefi card that instantly uploaded your RAW images wirelessly into Aperture on iPad. REview and edit on the fly as you are shooting, then upload to iCloud or other storage. It gets automatically synced to your desktop version for backup or archiving.

It would need third party developers to create affordable iPad plug ins, but this would put Apple's iPad lightyears ahead of the competition as a photographer's tool.

Imagine an "iPad Photo" device, with a 12" retina display, 256Gb storage, and 3G access everywhere.

How much would we pay for such a dream?

-Steve

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    There is lightroom for iPad now with photosmith. so I would not think the iPad 2 will have issues with an iPad ver of aperture. It would be cool if it did come out to compete with lightroom for the iPad.

3. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I have not tried the lightroom app, have you? Anybody?

4. razkaz81

razkaz81 New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    I'm still waiting on Apple to add a SD slot...that would make the iPad a must buy

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    There's an accessory adapter for SD cards, it's an Apple product available directly from Apple.

6. razkaz81

razkaz81 New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    Yup...but it's still another item to carry....very unlike Apple :frown:

7. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Yes, that "Camera Connection Kit" is a PITA. There is no excuse for not including an SD port, when mobile phones and cameras smaller than, and cheaper than, the iPad do so routinely.

The most serious design flaw of the device, apparently only done so they could sell a $30 dongle to correct it. It should have been corrected in iPad2. We can only hope for iPad3. (Along with retina display?)

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
  9. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Thanks, Gordon, I had not seen that, being the noob I am here.

But it still does not address my wishlist. I want hardware and software that duplicates Aperture's sophistication in image manipulation and management, in a handheld device I can carry with me everywhere, as I do with my iPad.

Photosmith looks fine for a quick look and some tagging of photos, but it still relies on the desktop version of Lightroom for actually doing serious post-processing.

Having lived with the iPad 1 for ten months now, I recognize that it lacks the hardware oomph to really do what I wish for as a photo editor, as described in above posts. The technology is progressing amazingly fast, as evidenced by the latest iteration of EyeFi, which can upload directly to iPad without needing a host wifi server. And iPad 2 is noticeably faster (my wife got one last month), so the Apple hardware is progressing well.

But for my aging eyes, I want a retina display that is a bit larger than the current ipad, with the processor power of the current MacBook Air, and with software equivalent to Aperture 3 that I run on my 2 year old MBP.

I am thinking that will happen within a year. Moore's law stands strong.

10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    on smaller devices they use micro sd. They are not as fast as class 10 sdhc cards. But have any of you really seen the droid tablets next to a ipad. The is a big difference in thickness to give all those features that you do not need everyday. I have a Ipad 2 and have a droid galaxy tablet from work. And the ipad 2 is more compact with a bit larger display which is much better for everyday uses. The display is worth giving up the built in sd port or usb. As I only ever use it when sync to my computer with either tablets. The camera kit is nice, but over price from apple, ebay has much cheaper ones that works.

And if you are considering eyefi, really no need for a sd card either. But I do have a camera connect kit. And it sits in my camera bag with the extra sd cards. And have only used it once when traveling. All the other times, I just waited till I got home. Having both options, I really think it is a bit over a over develop topic. Not having the SD port is really not that important. And the camera kit having to carry another item is very over rated. All those are blown out of proportions from someone that has both options.

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    PS I have tried the other free app, photoshop express. I still much preferred to edit on my macbook then the ipad. I have used it for quick edit to email. But do most of the work on my macbook with aperture 3 instead. Way more control imho.

I pass on photosmith as it will not interface with aperture 3. Though I do have lightroom 3, but I do prefer to edit with aperture over lightroom. I am more comfortable with the user interface of aperture then lightroom. As LR3 is a bit different then cse5 that I use form time to time.

12. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    My sentiments exactly. The MBP hardware with Aperture still trumps any handheld device for tweaking images.

Thanks for your thoughts about your experience with iPad wannabes.

I have not laid hands on the competition yet. I am thinking that if Amazon comes out with the rumored Android Kindle model, I might consider it as a color e-reader. I had the gen 1 Kindle and loved it until the screen died recently.

But I doubt anybody is going to match Apple in the price:value of the iPad ecosystem for great hardware and easy, consistent, intuitive software, when it comes to anything more sophisticated than email and text reading. They have created a standard others will not be able to match. And they clearly have a handle on the hardware and software functionality needed for image processing. That is why I am hopeful for an Aperture/"iPad Photo" combination.

OK, I'm a fanboy. I confess. But I may still try an android phone at some point soon, as my iPhone 3G is at the end of its lifespan, and I do not need the duplicate functions of my iPad 3G on my phone anymore.

13. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I have a droid phone, and the iphone does out do it in the essential of a phone. When running apps, you kill the droid battery fast if you forget to run the app killers. 4-5 hours without charging is about the life of a droid. I know, I have had 4 of them.

Everyone talks about the droid being an open system and they can run multiple app, nice but again overrated. The more apps you run the faster your phone dies. Also the phone is a 3 inch screen. Do you really want to run it like a mobile pc, it is after a phone. Calls, emails and messages are the most important thing for it to do.

Also people do not realized, if you get a smart phone, it is not really worth buying a Ipad/droid tablet if you are required to get a service contract. Just pay the 10 dollars to the smart phone for tethering data. It will save you 50 dollars a month for a tablet contract. That is some that makes no sense to me about contracts with tablets if you own a droid or a iphone. There are tether apps. Just add the tether option. It is much cheaper. And you do not use it as much on the wireless net vs wifi. Wireless networks are share data speeds. So even with the promise of hsdpa+ at 84mb and lte second gen at 100mb, it is ration off base on demand, so those VZ commercial with the lte hotspot is based on ideal conditions with just 10mbs lost over the air interface, and no one else on that cell site. So it the prefect considition with not one else to share the lte signal. You might get 90mb but that will be few are far between depending on the backhaul the lte system setup with.

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Personally, based on your post, if it were me, I would go get an Air. I've used real tabletPC's for Lightroom and photoshop for years and Lightroom, certainly, doesn't work well with the touch interface. A small laptop like the Air would be ideal.

Gordon