1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aperture & Nik Suite help [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by rhoydotp, Apr 5, 2013.

1. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Having just purchased the whole kit, I am really having a great time doing some post-processing. BUT, I need help with something that is bothering me. It's kinda hard to explain so I'll just make an example.

I have IMG1 (RAW) that I edited using Viveza and I go back to Aperture, naturally it creates an IMG1 (TIFF). I then do some more PP on Aperture (Straighten/Cropping mostly) and it creates a version called "IMG1 - Version 2" from the TIFF. When I want to use another NIK plugin, instead of loading the "Version 2", it loads the original TIFF (minus the PP done on "Version 2")

I find this annoying especially if I want to apply edge burns or borders using either Color EFEX or Silver EFEX on the already cropped/straightened image.

Anybody know if this is normal behavior or is there a setting that I need to change? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    I'm not an Aperture user, but if it is anything like LightRoom, make sure you have version 2 selected/highlighted, BEFORE you invoke the next Nik plugin - it may still be highlighting the original file.

If not, need to wait for an Aperture user to come along. :smile:

3. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Thanks, but that's exactly what I'm doing. I even have it on a full screen and then right-click on it to open in any of the Nik plugins to make sure that I'm editing the right one.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK I havent got the nik stuff - but did just try a round trip to PShop

OriginalFile.orf becomes OriginalFile.tiff (or .psd - this is a setting in the Export prefernces) when saved and returned to Aperture

If you then do further PP work in Aperture, by the nondestructive nature of Aperture, nothing is being changed in the OriginalFile.tiff by Aperture - so when you go back to PS for a second time it ignores the Aperture changes because they have not been written into the OriginalFile.tiff

However if you create a Duplicate Version(Alt+v) of the OriginalFile.tiff with your Aperture adjustment, this seems to force Aperture to create a new OriginalFile(2).Tiff.

It can get a bit messy - but is basically down to Aperture being non destructive.

K

5. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Thanks Kevin. I thought I tried that last night, it only makes another "Version". I even tried to unstack and extract the duplicate, still no go. I'll try again later to see,

6. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Thanks for the confirmation, Kevin.

Lightroom is different, then, when it opens the Nik Plugins, you get a dialogue box with options to :-

Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments
    Edit a Copy
    Edit the Original

with the last 2 being greyed out if it's just a RAW you have been working on; if you have already been in & out of plugins and are working on TIFFs (or JPEGs for that matter), the last 2 options become available - so, basically, it gives you the choice !!

Surprised you have to go through the procedure you mention in Aperture to force it to recognise the version you've been working on.

7. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I'm liking the software so far (though I'm basically just messing with sliders to see what happens), but in LR (or Aperture I'm assuming) is the upshoot of all of this that we're going to end up with a million different iterations of the same image floating around?

8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I don't have an answer to your question, but my suggestion would be to minimize the number of trips in and out of Aperture (I know drive space is cheap but you are creating new TIFFs at each trip). I do whatever basic PP in Aperture first - crop, straighten, adjust exposure & WB, etc. Then export to a plugin for more substantive processing. When that TIFF comes back to Aperture it's done.

9. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Well ......

You could do.

If you really do go through the complete NIK workflow, using all their plugins, you could keep all the TIFFs, and each time in LR, choose to "Edit a copy", or a copy with LR Adjustments if you happen to have done any adjustments inbetween on that TIFF in LR before going to the next plugin. That way, you can think of each step's TIFF as a sort of "layer" (it's not of course), that you can go back to at any time, and start the workflow again from that point if there was something you didn't like earlier/later in the workflow that you only realise later. Once you have your final TIFF and export as JPG, it's up to you; you can delete all the TIFFs, or just keep the last one, from within LR, and you get the dialogue to just delete from the catalogue, or delete from the disk. If you delete from the disk, they are gone, irrecoverable.

Or, if you are confident in your editing, once you have the first TIFF, if you choose the "Original" option each time you go into subsequent plugins, it is not creating more copies, but you then can't go back to interim edits, only to the original RAW.

The choice, as they say, is entirely up to you.

10. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    That was my initial "workflow", basic PP in Aperture then to the plugin to finish it. But then it I noticed that either Aperture or Nik is not processing the right "version" with the PP already. So I tried to do the reverse (Nik first before Aperture), still the same issue.

I opened a ticket with Nik as well and waiting to hear from them.

11. fin azvandi

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Huh, okay then I'm not sure what going on but something is wrong with your setup/settings/etc. I just imported a fresh .ORF into Aperture, cropped it, and then clicked Photos -> Edit With Plugin... -> Silver Efex Pro 2. The image that opened in SEP was cropped. Sorry I'm no help, and good luck figuring out the problem!

12. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Yes but looking at the OP's problem, save that TIFF from SEP, do some noticeable adjustments in Aperture, then try to open that TIFF (with Adjustments) in a NIK Plugin again - are those second adjustments reflected in the image exported to Nik?

13. fin azvandi

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Interesting, now I have the same experience kevinparis described. The second set of Aperture adjustments (to the SEP TIFF) are not applied to the image exported to Nik. However, if you first go Photos -> Duplicate Version and then try to send the duplicate version out to a plugin, the adjustments ARE applied as expected.

14. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    I'll definitely try this again tonight. Thanks guys

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    If you keep in your head that Aperture never changes a source file, then the behaviour is understandable.

When you first send a file to an external editor Aperture creates a tiff with all you have done up to that point in Aperture. When it comes back from the editor, the Aperture has a new file... that it can't alter. Yes you can make further adjustments in Aperture - though you cant undo any Aperture adjustments you made before sending it to the external editor - those were baked in at the point you sent it.

Now if you do some more pp in Aperture and then try and send it to an external editor again, then Aperture has a dilemna,, as in order to do that it would have to alter the tiff it created... and its not allowed to do that.

The solution is to create a new version... which allows Aperture to create a new tiff incorporating the old tiff with the new Aperture adjustments.

I understand LR seems to offer options at the point of sending to the external editor... which may be a good thing...However Apertures approach guarantees you will never destroy any stage in a long workflow... you might just end up with a lot of versions

cheers

K

16. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I'm dealing with something similar:

For the past two nights I've been trying to add a filter selectively using the control points. Image looks as desired in NIK, but when I hit SAVE, the effects of the selective filters disappear when the file is returned/reopened in Aperture.

What am I doing wrong? Anyone seen this behaviour? I'm most certain it worked before (as I do remember using the control points), but now its just driving me nuts! :)

17. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    SOLVED!

Thank you all for chiming in ... this IS the solution. Not pretty, but it works.

I hope that future updates of Nik would allow non-destructive edits instead of creating a TIFF (as mentioned here, HUGE file size).

I love this community! :2thumbs: