1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

aperture info while using adapted legacy lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by trucarp, Mar 7, 2013.

1. trucarp

trucarp Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2013
    I've just received my Fotasy OM-M43 adapter and I'm using an old tokina 50-250 zoom on my GF-3.
    In all the modes (P, A, S and M) the only exposure adjustment I can make is the shutter speed. The expsures are correct, and the meter is working, but I cannot control the aperature. On the touch screen and the displays of images it simply shows f 0.0.

Am I missing something?

thanks

PS Had a look at the excellent sticky thread regarding using adapted lenses, but no luck.

Andy

2. All normal electronic control between lens and body disappears when using an all manual lens and the on-screen aperture value will default to displaying 0.0. You adjust the lens aperture using the ring on the lens and the camera will adjust its metering (shutter speed) to suit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    No, you're not missing anything. The TTL meter will read the exposure from the stopped down lens correctly, but as stated above, there is no electrical connection between the lens and body telling the camera what the aperture is.

4. trucarp

trucarp Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks for the info guys.
    It still seems as though the aperature ring is doing nothing: I have set the camera on a tripod, put it in all the modes (P,A,S,M) aimed it at a scene, and taken one pic at f22 (on the lens) then change the f stop to f4.0, and the exposure is the same.

any ideas?

thanks
    Andy

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Set your shutter speed and ISO manually and then try adjusting the aperture. It sounds like you are allowing the camera to make exposure adjustments automatically.

If that doesn't work then the aperture is busted on that lens. Take it off and look through it while opening and closing the iris. You should see it working if it is operating correctly.

6. Does your adapter have an internal tab to engage the pin on the rear of the lens that puts the lens in "stop down" mode? Not all OM adapters have them, and those that don't require you to press the button near the base of the lens (not the lens realese button!) to stop down the aperture. The other reason could be that the aperture blades inside the lens are stuck in the wide-open position.

7. trucarp

trucarp Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2013
    Think the aperature is busted.
    As I'm looking through the lens, pressing the doF preview button, I see nothing. Moving the iris lever(?), and can't see anything moving inside the lens. The iris lever feels snappy, but I can't see the aperature at all.
    It's a 30 y.o lens, OM mount and I took LOTS of pictures on it back in the day. I suppose it doesn't owe me anything.
    I think Ill try to open it up an see if I can free the aperature up. Or I guess I could just shoot wide open all the time!

Thanks for all the info guys.

Andy

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What often happens is that oil leaks onto the iris leaves and they stick. Most likely this is what happened. It is repairable if you know what to do and have the right tools.