Aperture help needed

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Jakob F., Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Hi,
    I've got quite a lot of photos in the Aperture library, since at some point I read that it was the smart thing to do -let Aperture import the files to its own library. So... Now I've got a library file, size +100GB and that is too damn much for my Macbook.

The smart thing to do, which I've already done, is switching to referenced files, but it doesn't really make the aperture library file any smaller, it just keeps it from growing -what I'd like to do, is have a library of referenced pictures from the last year or so, and another library with the older files on an external drive. I've got a 1TB drive connected to my Airport Extreme, which should be enough space for at least another year or 2 ;)

How do I split it up without losing anything, and is there a smarter way of organizing it?
    And can I go from managed to referenced with ALL my pictures? That is, can I un-manage all the managed files from the present library, and have them organized by shooting year/month/date like I do with the referenced? I'm pretty sure I tried it once, and they all got the same date, so it didn't really work that well, but I might have missed something..

Quite a lot of questions, I know, but I hope someone out there has the right answers :smile:

Best regards,
    Jakob

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    If I understand your question, the following process will transfer managed files to referenced files, organized by date subfolders:

1. Filter photos by 'Managed'
    2. Select all
    3. File/relocate masters: select subfolder format, eg, Image Year/Month ; select Custom name (if any)
    4. Hit Relocate Masters

Done.

I keep several months worth of photos as Managed and periodically make older files Referenced. BTW, you will want to backup your Library (including Managed files) and Referenced files!

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have my photos organized in folder by year with month folder inside of that and within each month in folder named to correspond to either the date or the event. That may not suit you (or anyone else) but it seems to work for me. As to getting the images out of Aperture into folders...as far as I know that requires exporting full size images and manually putting them where they need to go. I'm a Lightroom user but as I recall Aperture automatically separates the files into events when you import them. This is a time consuming process but better in the long run.

You could simply copy the Aperture library to the new drive. As I recall there is a switch library command in the menus. That wou dget you up an running more quickly then you could slowly pull stuff out of your Aperture library as time allows.

4. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Only problem is that when using that method, only the folder names will indicate year and month and date -the actual files will get todays date, which sucks, because when I import them as referenced files then Aperture will read the file dates, not the shooting dates. And since I've got pictures from 2005-11 in there, it's getting rather messy when trying to re-organizing that way. I'll have to manually sort through 100GB pictures, which I'd rather not...

5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Not sure why that is happening. Shoot date doesn't change when I do it. File name can be changed, but can also remain same as Master. :confused:

6. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Except for the problems I get with the file dates, when using this method. Files I pull out of the Aperture library file, doesn't keep the shooting date, but get todays date, so when importing them back into Aperture as referenced files, pictures from 2005 suddenly shows in a 2011 project. Which sucks.
    I too like the auto-separate-into-events-when-importing feature, but it will be a ginormous task to manually create the correct events for all the files...

7. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    There's probably a few things that could cause this. First, I migrated from Picasa and Windows to Picasa and MacOS. That was all well and fine, because Picasa is all about referenced files!
    Then... I migrated from Picasa to iPhoto, and I let iPhoto manage all my pictures. Bummer. But it worked well. Until I updated iPhoto some day, and some of my pictures actually disappeared. Then I thought, fork it, I'm transferring to Aperture, it's a lot better, offers a lot more and is all round a lot nicer. (I miss the auto-create-a-collage-from-this-bunch-of-pictures, that Picasa has, but not much..) (and of course, I didn't get my pictures back) Still managed files, not referenced!

And now I'm here, wanting to pull my pictures out of the womb that is the Aperture library, and not being able to, because they all get the same creation date, a.k.a. todays date. And it sucks, because I need the space :/

8. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Oh, and is there a quick way to get rid of the jpegs? When I first got my Pen, I shot jpeg+raw for reasons unknown. Probably didn't know any better -and then Aperture auto-stacks with the raw file as master. Can I get rid of all the jpegs, easily, since that would save a bit of space as well?

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
  10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    you shouldn't need to reimport them..... relocating the Masters does just that... all the other information stored in the Aperture library remains the same.... you may need to use the Locate referenced files from the File Menu

K

11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Well...you can locate the Aperture Library in the Pictures folder of the active user. If you right click on it )or control click) you get a drop down that allows you to SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS.

[​IMG]

The original files should be located in a folder called MASTERS

[​IMG]

They will be organized according to Aperture's structure and I don't know enough about Aperture to tell you what that means. I did however pull one of the files to the desktop and it retains it's last modification date as opposed to getting a new one.

Still very time consuming and I would not suggest doing this on the active library but instead make a copy and work on that one. I doubt however that this would carry over any adjustments you made in Aperture so it may not be worth it for you.

12. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    For splitting the library, I think you're right. I'll try!
    For RAW only, what I meant was this: Is there an easy way to delete the jpeg doubles from the Aperture library, so I don't have both the jpegs AND the RAW files in there? I've changed to shooting only RAW a while back, so it's not an issue with new imports -I just want to get the old jpegs that I also have the RAW version of, deleted...

13. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    just use the search to search for Filetype/JPEG

the search in Aperture is very powerful. I 'm not in a position to offer screen shots ... but it should be self explanatory.

The Aperture Library is just a database of every picture you imported... all the metadata of the photo... including the date it was shot... which is different from the file creation date, plus preview files and if you choose to work managed as opposed to referenced, the original file.

K

K

14. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I just tried searching for the filetype, but that returns every single jpeg in my library, and since I've only been shooting RAW since february, all the other pictures in Aperture is jpegs. Which I want to keep, of course ;)
    I've tried adding EXIF Camera model E-P2 to the search criteria, but then it doesn't return ANY results, which is weird, because they're there when I search without the exif criteria.
    I just want to get rid of the jpeg+raw doubles, but can't find a way to do it :sad010::sad010::sad010::sad010:

15. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    When Aperture stores files in its library, it is actually storing the file in a special "suitcase" or "package" folder, not a single file. The "Aperture 3 Library" file you see in the Finder is a special type of folder. If you right-click (or option-click), and select from the popup menu "Show Package Contents..." you will see it open just like a regular Finder window, and it will have a series of folders and files within it, like:

Aperture.aplib
    ApertureData.xml
    Attachments
    Database
    dbUpgradeInProgress
    iLifeShared
    Info.plist
    iPod Photo Cache
    Masks
    Masters
    Previews
    Thumbnails

You may see at the top of the window (depending on your folder settings) that the Aperture 3 Library package-folder's hidden name is now "Aperture 3 Library.aplibrary".

Aperture saves the unedited Master of each image, and then saves all the data about your editing changes, as well as the thumbnails and previews for optimizing the display within Aperture. The Masters folder is the one you want to backup or consolidate to another place, as it has the biggest files and potentially most important to archive. When you select "Consolidate Masters..." and move them to an external folder location on the same hard drive, they are not changed at all, they just get their directory address on the drive rewritten. It should not change the dates or any other EXIF or essential data when you do this. It will not change them from RAW or jpeg or other format in this process, it leaves them as they were. If you select a different hard drive, it would be the equivalent of asking the Finder to move them to the new drive and delete them from the old drive.

When you Consolidate Masters into an external location, all the other data about thumbnails, previews and edit settings is preserved in the Aperture Library and only the Masters get moved.

On the other hand, if you choose "Export..." you are asking Aperture to make a new copy, using the edits you have made, and save it in whatever format you select in the Export dialog settings. It is not moving the Master file. It is duplicating with the edit alterations, not preserving the unedited master into the new location. The Mater file and all of the associated data about edits and thumbnails, etc., remains in the Aperture Library, unless you then intentionally delete it from the library.

You can also choose to create more than one Aperture Library, so that you might archive old pictures into a library on an external drive, and only keep your most recent batch in the current library. This may speed up the process of opening and closing libraries if you have thousands of pix.

The big advantage to consolidating your masters into an external folder that Aperture "references", such as your main Pictures folder, is that they are then easy to find in the Finder when you wish to open them with a different program besides Aperture. You can also select "Show in Finder" from Aperture's right-click popup menu, and it will show the Finder location, even if it is inside the .aplibrary package.

The advantage to leaving masters in the .aplibrary is reduced complexity and confusion when hundreds of finder folders are hidden inside the .aplibrary folder. Also, if you accidentally move or delete a referenced file in the finder, Aperture gets confused and tells you the picture is "missing," even if it may still have a thumbnail visible in the Aperture program.

-Steve

Edit- oops, I see you already described the process of looking at the Package Contents with some nice visuals. Well, I hope my explanation give you a bit better understanding of what the file structure represents.

16. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    do the search with EXIF/Camera Model/Includes/E-P2

that should work

• Like Like x 1
  17. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Here is how I would do it if I wish to get rid of jpegs and keep the RAW files.

Use the search function in the "Filmstrip" section of the Aperture Browser (click the magnifier-glass button) to select "Add Rule" >> File Type "= jpeg" (or RAW, if that is what you wish to get rid of) within a project folder. Be sure you uncheck any other criteria, so all you will find is the jpeg files.

Select that entire found set and mark as "rejected" (keyboard "9"). Now set the Filmstrip view to "unrated or better," which hides those rejected files, and examine what is left to be sure you have not rejected something you may wish to keep. This should now display the RAW versions in the Aperture filmstrip, and no jpeg versions should be visible.

If you find you are missing pictures you wished to keep, then switch the filmstrip back to "show all" and unreject (hit keyboard "0") any files you wish to keep before the next step.

If you are happy with the non-rejected set that is left, then change the filmstrip selector criterion to show "rejected", select all of the images in the filmstrip, and hit command-delete (or select "Delete Version" in File Menu). This will tell Aperture to move all of those rejected files out of the library and put them into the Finder Trash (where you can still recover them if you made a mistake, until you Empty the Trash).

I hope that helps.

-Steve

18. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it :)
    Right now I'm relocating +15k managed masters, and tomorrow I'll start sorting them out and deleting the duplicate jpegs. I have a feeling I might be able to do it through the Finder, but I'm unsure whether or not it's a good idea. Oh well, we'll see ;v)
    For now, I have to get some sleep...

Thanks, all!

19. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    You can also search for RAW+JPEG if that helps. :)

I've decided that I'm going to multiple libraries. One thing that kept my sanity when I was printing for a show was to export the versions (pre-borderFX), add them all to a new Aperture library, border them, delete the versions I'd imported, then export for printing at BayPhoto.

20. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I tried, but that only shows the RAW files for some reason, even though I know the jpegs are there somewhere as well ;v)