Aperture Help.. Confused

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by MrDoug, Apr 29, 2013.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi.. I having been using the Newest Version of Aperture and when I move a photo from Viewer to Library, Album or Flag a photo and then delete it from the viewer it also deletes it from where I placed it.. all is gone! How to I save my Photos and delete them from the viewer? Hope this makes sense to you.. Your help and proper method will be much appreciated..
    Thanks in advance..
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

When you bring a photo into Aperture it has to live in a Project. It can only live in one project at a time, and if you delete it from a project it goes to the Aperture trash. If you empty the Aperture trash, then it goes to the system trash.

If you put a photo in an album( or smart album or book or a slideshow) all you are doing is creating a reference back to the file in the Project - it isn't copying the file - in fact there is always only one physical file that Aperture is tracking - the original file you imported

If you then delete a photo from the Album, it deletes that reference, but doesn't delete the original file from the project. An Album can be made up of images from multiple projects. If you delete a file in the project, it will disappear from all the albums it appears in.

The viewer is just that - it just lets you see the images in whatever project or album you have selected

hope this helps

3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    Maybe this will help

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz5IvAESza8]Aperture 3 [Part 2] - Organizing Library - YouTube[/ame]