Aperture has disapeared.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Johbremat, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Balls.

Machine was poked, so had to rebuild it. After finalising the installation and logging in to the App Store, Aperture was nowhere to be found in my purchases. Not only can you not purchase it, but you can't even re-download.

So unless someone has encountered the same, looks like I'm gonna have to fork out for a new processor.

For those that departed Aperture, what did you end up with?

2. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Unfortunately...... Lightroom :(

3. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Anyone rate DxO Optics Pro, or Capture One Pro?

Curious to see if anyone's relying on Affinity Photo, too.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Friend of mine went to Capture One Pro from Aperture and he's very happy with it. Personally, I've never used Aperture (Windows user) but actually quite like Lightroom.

5. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    TBH I've got quite used to Lightroom now - so shouldn't complain too much.

6. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I have little doubt that Aperture will eventually break but until then, happy to keep using it. Met my needs...when I was able to install it.

7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    This is one of the downsides of purchasing software from the App Store.

8. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Lightroom...and the transition was better than I expected. I did a post about it a while back.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I use both Photos and LR. Photos to share pics with my wife and to download to and have backed up to iCloud when away from my Mac. LR for most things, although I am still working how to organize my existing pics.

10. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    There should be no downsides from purchasing from the Apple Store if you keep a backup. I have a Time Machine backup to an Airport Time Capsule so always have a backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Yes, I concurrently run 3 types of backup software (Carbon Copy Cloner, Chronosync and Arq) so my apps and data are safer than most, but the fact that you still need to ensure that these backup processes are in place just to keep purchased software operational is still a bit of a downside.

12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Made the full-time switch from Aperture to Lightroom earlier this year and quite happy with the latest incarnation of LR6. Don't miss Aperture at all.

FWIW, with any downloaded software like Aperture from the Apple Store or other purchased software from other sites, I always keep a backup of those apps just in case. Even software that was purchased on disks are always backed up with serial keys just in case the disks go bad or get lost.

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've been getting along with the new Photos program. I find it adequate but not outstanding. I'll probably eventually go to Lightroom but can't bring myself to spend the money right now.

14. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Dammit. Beat me to it.

Classic for me who just spent the better part of ~10 (total) emails with Apple about this very matter.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    I'm using Affinity Photo, but remember that it can do the photo editing aspects of Aperture, but its not the digital asset management part of Aperture. For that you need Photos for OS-X or you need Lightroom.

As per photo editing it does a lot of stuff, and their support forums are very good. The downsides are its not quite Photoshop, so there is SOME learning curve. And since its so new you can't google for techniques like you can with PS. Lastly, it won't work with layered TIFF or PSD files, and saves its own layered files in its own .afphoto file format. But I still like it for my needs. If I used it a lot I'd fork the money for Creative Cloud though.

I'm using Affinity Photo because I don't use Photoshop often enough to justify the $10/month and my old copy of CS5 no longer runs.

17. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry