Aperture for MAC vs. PHOTOSHOP

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by DaBuffaloNish, Feb 18, 2011.

1. DaBuffaloNish

DaBuffaloNish Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2011
    I have aperture for MAC and was hoping there was someone out here that has some experience with it. I need to figure out superimposition if its available. I downloaded from the app store so no hardcopy manual to peruse through.

Also if you have photoshop or aperture which do you prefer on a MAC
  2. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

There is no way to do superimposition using Aperture. That sort of manipulation will require photoshop.
    Aperture is only available for Mac users, there is no PC version.
    Aperture will do 95% of your photo editing work and do it in a very straight forward manner. It doesn't take long to become proficient in it's use unlike Photoshop.
    Also keeping track of your photos is one of Apertures strengths, very easy to mange your photo library.
    Have a look on the Apple website for Aperture tutorial videos, they will get you up and running pretty quickly!
    I use both Aperture and Photoshop for my editing at a rate of about 90% Aperture 10% Photoshop.
  3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I use both, but I use them for different things. If I have minor corrections, I use Aperture, and I prefer Aperture's crop control over Photoshop's.

That said, for certain kinds of noise reduction, Photoshop's great.

Because I used Photoshop longer, I'm probably 50/50 in which I use.

All my library is now in Aperture. I finally got all the iPhoto stuff imported the other day.
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    as said by Gillymaru Aperture doesn't do superimposition - it doesn't have the concept of layers.

It might be worth looking at Pixelmator

as a low cost alternative to Photoshop to go along with Aperture.

You can send easily images from Aperture to an external image editor, and APerture will manage the files while letting you do more complex layering work.

5. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I have Aperture and Photoshop and it is not VS. for me as they are separate tools that do separate jobs. True there are overlapping areas. With Aperture you can edit your images with Photoshop in concert with Bridge you can organize your images but you can do those things better with the programs that were designed for that.

Most of my general photography time is spent in Aperture and if I were only editing images for the web I would be very happy with it. For organizing and cataloguing it is a dream to work with. For websites, slide show, and book publishing it is fast but I have other products that are better suited for this.

I edit all my good images for duel purposes, to be printed large and to be shown electronically and all these are done using Photoshop. Its main job is to edit images and it is peerless at this. Photoshop is very complicate and the learning curve is steep but it offers an extreme depth in image manipulation. It is worth the effort to lean how to use it.

I also have Pixelmator. It has the most beautiful interface of any graphic manipulation program I own. It has some wonderful filter. It has some major limitations. It is a first entry for this company and a good start. It is a step up from Apertrue for graphic manipulation and for anyone that just wants a bit more it is a great product. It is very inexpensive.

I also have Photoshop Elements which is still inexpensive although about three times the cost of Pixelmator. It has about 85% of tools of Photoshop at a fraction of the cost of Photoshop. It will suite almost every photographers needs with the exception of a professional that needs automatic image manipulation.

In summery I use both Aperture and Photoshop. If I had to choose then it would be Photoshop that I would go with. If I were on a budget and needed both I would choose Aperture and Elements.
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The do different things. Aperture is a tool for organizing images and has image adjustment tools (color, WB, sharpening etc.). It also has links into Apple's book printing service, and allows you to do stuff like location tag your images and such. It's a nice tool. I use Adobe Lightroom but in all honesty I find Aperture's UI to be better and if it's performance were a bit snappier on my Macbook I'd probably switch.

Photoshop on the other hand is an image editing tool. It has image editing tools but they are more extensive that Aperture (or Lightroom) and you can do things like layering, masking, selective color corrections, cloning (although you can do SOME cloning in Aperture and Lightroom as well) etc. Photoshop is a nice application to have in combination with Aperture.

That said, the full version of Photoshop is quite expensive. Depending on your need you could look at Photoshop Elements for Mac or something like Pixelmator. If what you are looking to do is superimposing images then either will do and they are both quite inexpensive. In fact I believe both offer free trials. I have both Aperture and the full version of Photoshop and I tend to use Photoshop more simply because I've been using it professionally since the mid 80's so I know the tool set really well. Pixelmator however is a very appealing little application and I am finding that more and more I hop into Pixelmator for quick stuff. It's got a nice clean UI, the tools do pretty much what you want them to do and the developers are very responsive with updates and bug fixes.
  7. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    Instead of Photoshop, pick up Pixelmator on the App Store. Its only $30 and does 90% of the stuff Photoshop does. I did 'professional' photo editing for a guitar shop in the past and am pretty proficient in Photoshop, and I find Pixelmator to be quicker, and it supports the Quartz Extreme acceleration of OS X, where as Photoshop does not.
  8. DaBuffaloNish

Jan 16, 2011
    Yea I'm gonna pick up Pixelmator, it has pretty good reviews and is a cheap price
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I LOVE Pixelmator but I suggest downloading the free trials of Pixelmator and Photoshop Elements (or Photoshop CS5) and see what you like better. There are some things that Photoshop does better (one is that it is faster) and some that Pixelmator does better. Try them both and see what you like. It also depends on how much image editing you'll be doing. also, try doing some superimposing of images (layering) in each one and see what you like best. See which one feels more natural to you.

Another simple image editor for the Mac is Acorn. Very nice, VERY simple but again it may be just what you are looking for.
  10. DaBuffaloNish

Jan 16, 2011
  11. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Did the price just go up?? Now $60 for pixelmaker...

Oops! Now I see: Buy at Amazon: $32. Buy thru App Store $60. Duh....
  12. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    It was $30 on the App Store 2 weeks ago... Weird. If you buy it on the App Store though, you get an upgrade to 2.0 free, if you buy it on Amazon, you don't.