1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aperture for 80 dollars

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by kevinparis, Jan 6, 2011.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Apple today launched their new App store for OS X.... they seem to be selling Aperture 3 for 79.99.....which seems like a no brainer if you dont have it

cheers

K

• Like Like x 1
  2. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    An absolute bargain for those that don't but bloody irritating for those of us that forked out full whack!

3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I waited Just Long Enough, thankfully. I'd gotten a trial in November that ran out in December, and what with travel expense budgets being what they were, I was planning to buy this upcoming Friday.

It is still $199 in stores, though (I don't know how long that'll be true, though), so there is that.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I bought about eight months too early. Then again, that eight months of processing fun was worth the $120. But, still, is this some grand new pricing philosophy or just a one off fluke?

-Ray

5. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Kevin , thanks for the Tip, I am new to Raw processing do not even have a Raw converter.
    I have an I Mac.with one processor and Max out at 1 GB of Harddrive and maxed out with OSX version 4.11. Will I be able to run Aperture on this computer.
    Do you have a Mac also?
    Thanks Dennis.

6. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

When Aperture was introduced it was well over $500 It dropped to $300 and I managed to get it on a once off deal at $175. Then it dropped to $200 and I ended upgrading for $100 now it is $80. While I have $275 into it I'm not at all bitter, because I got good use out of it, I just wonder how long it will take until they pay us to take it off their hands?

7. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Dennis

Trip on over to Apertures section on Apples Web sit and check out what is needed. Be warned Aperture is a memory hog and can really pushes my macs to the limits.

8. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Aperture/ on I mac

Yes Grant, that is what i here also. I guess i will probably have to up grade my computer but really would like to get more use of it first.
    Grant would LightRoom be less of a hog on my 1GB hard drive. My I mac is older and Maxed out at 1GB.
    My most important need is to Correct converging verticles and perspective corrections as i shoot mostly Product and Architectural Motifs.
    So that brings up the DXO correction /Raw ? software. Do you have any experience with this?
    Ok ,so given my computer at present, Can anyone suggest a workable solution for my poor old MAC.
    Thanks, Dennis.

9. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I was just over to the new App Store and it is a good start but it seem a lot of the big times people have not bought into the concept, For photographers they are carrying iWorks and iLife, Aperture, Pixelmator and the entry level Photomagico but the don't seem a lot of the power products that I have come to rely on. Maybe in a little time.

10. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Dennis

I don't Use Lightroom so maybe other can help on memory requirements.

I don't believe either Aperture and Lightroom will correct for perspective, not without some third party add-on (the operative word here is believe maybe other know better).

If that is all you do there are two inexpensive solutions. Pixelmator will easily do it and if you are careful you can get it for around $30. In power it is partway between Photoshotp Elements and full Photoshop. The other one is Photoshop Elements and if the sale is still on it is about $50 after mail in. The advantage of elements is if you ever decide to move up to photoshop almost all you learn can be carried with you.

11. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    10.5.8 is the minimum for running Aperture 3. 10.6.6 is required for the $79.99 price, otherwise it's the $199 box.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Mac 1GB

Thanks Grant, Yes I went to the Apple and Adobe sites and both recommend a minimum of 2GB and Version5.8 OSX. So they are both out of the question for my computer as my computer guy said to not add version OSX 5.0 to my computer.
    So I might look at Pixelmator.
    So I guess its a new computer or Elements or Pixelmator.
    Thanks, Dennis.

13. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    There are apparently requirements of how it must be coded and what it can and cannot do. Thus, the certifications will take longer for the bigger, older apps, and some may not comply.

As an example per this apparently legit document, applications that use copy protection or their own license structure will be rejected. (App store apps get licensing built in, but it is different than older methodologies companies previously used.)

14. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    What specific model number do you have? Should start with A and be on the back of your computer somewhere.

15. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I have had a Mac or used one daily since about 1986... plus until 2 years ago i worked for the company for 10 years... so yeah i kinda know Macs :)

In all honesty to get the best out of Aperture you do need a fairly recent Mac... though I do run it on a 2007 Mac Pro as well as a 11 in Mac book Air.

Aperture makes heavy demands on the graphics card or chip and really needs a Mac with an Intel chip.

Considering you need to run 10.6.6 to access the App store , and 10.6.6 is as far as I recall is for Intel based Macs only... then I suspect that you may need to buy a new mac to join in on the Aperture fun.

On the plus side the latest imacs are wonderful machines and very good value for money.

the sad thing is that 1G of memory and a single processor are no longer at the cutting edge

happy to answer any specific questions as best I can

cheers
    K

16. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Mac 1GB

Kevin , yes i know now that my old Mac will not cut it any more, So I will start to look for a newer computer.
    We have had it since 2003 ya "ancient" don't laugh at me. So i guess we got our money out of it. It been great no crashes and only had to replace the hard drive 1 1/2 year ago.
    Well ,was going to get my first Native Panny lens, :frown: but now will have to get the New computer first.
    Thanks to all who have helped.
    All the Best Dennis.
    PS. Kevin good to know you are a Mac expert. !!
    probably will be PM,ing you later on Mac
    Questions, when we decide to go all in a new MAC.

17. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    The first part is definitely correct, here's the requirements for Leopard support as not all PPC machines were capable of running Leopard.

In my job, I always have booted (on different machines) Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard, and Tiger sure feels dated. I spend most of my time (> 90%) on Snow Leopard, though.

18. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Just to make it clear... to run Snow Leopard aka OSX 10.6 - then you need an Intel powered Mac

Leopard OSX 10.5 was the last version that ran on G4/G5 powered machines

Aperture 3 will only run on an Intel powered Mac - though you can run it on Leopard... if you have an Intel powered Mac.

The upgrade from leopard to snow leopard was only 30 dollars... which in the scheme of things is not a lot of money

OSX 10.7 Lion is due to appear sometime this year - probably in the early summer... but nothing has been announced concerning the cost, the spec or the features beyond a preview at a press event last October.

I run Aperture on an original twin processor 3ghz Mac Pro with 8G RAMand also on a 11 inch Macbook air with 4G of Ram - its runs pretty good on the macbook air, and I am sure it would scream on even the baseline Imac.

I will probably upgrade from the Mac Pro to a top of the range imac at some point this year, as after 4 years the advances in technologies will mean I will probably see a marked improvement in performance... such is the way of the world

K

19. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The app from the app store only allows you to install on one mac I believe. While the box lets you put it on at least 3 that I have.

20. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

One question....does it correct distortion like...leaning buildings, etc....