Aperture control on G2 for video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nickfromlondon, Jan 19, 2012.

1. nickfromlondon

nickfromlondon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    Hello again,

Sorry to ask another question - hopefully a simple one!

I have just ordered a 20mm f1.7 lens. Obviously this lens performs much better in low light than the kit lens...

But I have also just realised that there is no way to manually set the aperture when using the video mode. So my question is:

Will the camera be clever enough to know that the f1.7 lens can indeed go as low as f1.7 and use a low aperture accordingly in low light situations?

Or is the point of the f1.7 lens negated in video recording by the fact that I cannot manually set the aperture?

And, perhaps most importantly, does my question actually make sense?! :rofl:

Thanks for your help...

2. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    you can hack it to get manual everything.

3. nickfromlondon

Dec 4, 2011
    Hi Chrith, thanks for this but I was under the impression that the G2s cannot be hacked (I know the GH2 can be hacked).

I think there was a hack for the G2 but it is not usable on newer models.

Or have I got this wrong?

Thanks a lot

Nick

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Wow, I couldn't believe that the G2 doesn't have that (I don't own one myself) so I downloaded the manual to check it out.

It seems the closest you could get is using the "Motion Picture P" mode. If you set the peripheral defocus slider as far as it will go to the fuzzy background side, that should select the largest aperture. But it might be limited by your lighting conditions. If it's bright and sunny out, the camera might not let you open up to the full aperture because it would overexpose.

And the manual seems to indicate (on page 116) that if the lighting is low, then the maximum aperture will always be selected regardless of your selections on the peripheral defocus slider.

5. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
  6. nickfromlondon

Dec 4, 2011
    @chrith - thanks for the answer but I had a look at in this thread they say the newer G2s are unhackable:

GH1, GF1, G2: Fast Action 3-Frame GOP Patch - Version 2 - Personal View Talks

@sprinkle - I can't believe you actually downloaded the manual to answer my question! Really, that is so kind! Am I right to understand that the peripheral focus slider is therefore an aperture selector, just without the f numbers? (sorry for the simplistic view!).

Thanks both of you...

7. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    Thats strange, i bought mine about 3 months after that and was able to hack it

8. nickfromlondon

Dec 4, 2011
    Maybe you had a slightly older firmware on your model (i.e. it had been sitting in a shop's stock for a little while?).

I guess there is no harm in me trying... beyond the ability to manually control video, do you think it's worth hacking? What else do I get? I have read the forums but they're not too clear...

And do I risk nuking my camera?! Can I roll back the firmware if it doesn't work?

I have looked for a 101 on how to hack the camera and just cannot find one... if you happen to know where I can find one, I'd appreciate the info.

It's obvious why Panasonic would not want you to hack the G2 - it becomes an interesting competitor to the GH2, not least because it is currently half the price!

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    That's how I interpret it. My GH2 has a similar control on its "Portrait" mode, called "Creative Portrait."
    Well, I'm not sure I'd exactly call it an aperture selector per se; rather it's more like a desired aperture effect controller. By sliding it over to the fuzzy side, you're telling the camera, "Give me the widest aperture you can," but under different lighting situations, that might correspond to different actual f stop values.

When I'm using the 20mm on a bright sunny day, it usually can't go wider than f/4 or so. And that's with a shutter speed of 1/4000 and an ISO of 160. If you want that dreamy f/1.7 in broad daylight, you'll need an ND filter to cut the light.

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Easy fix: Buy manual legacy lenses.

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmmm... love to know your source of 20mm sub f2 manual focus lenses

K

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That might be true, but I would conclude from his posts that aperture control in low light is his main concern, not focal length. :wink:

13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a dubious conclusion to make.... :)

anyway with regard to the OP question.... its my experience with the the EP-1 that aperture was the ONLY control you had in video... no shutter speed, not ISO... so it should allow you to shoot at 1.7

doubt that the g2 s anything that different

K

14. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I'm just starting to get into video and learning on my G2. If you shoot in the P video mode on the top dial, you can press the rear thumb wheel once and get exposure compensation from -3 to +3 just like still pictures. If you press the thumb wheel again, you will be able to control depth of field. This is badly explained on page 115 of the manual.

Hope this is of some help.