Aperture "bug" - mushy RAW from Panasonic bodies Gx7, G6 and maybe more?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by CiaranCReilly, May 26, 2014.

1. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I'd read about the mushy output from some Panasonic G series cameras from RAW in Aperture, referred to here and here on dpreview, and over the weekend I found a good image to illustrate the point. Here's the original image, from which I've taken three crops of my dog's nose (not the most aesthetic but it illustrates the point quite well I think):

ei2mWF3l.

... and here's two 100% crops from RAW, Aperture settings as follows:
    • RAW fine tuning noise reduction at zero and sharpening at 0.5
    • first show with RAW fine tuning detail at 0 and one with detail at 1
    • all other Aperture bricks and settings at default

JjLsGfE.

So bringing the detail slider up in RAW fine tuning helps a little, however look what happens when the image is run through Exiftool (or a hex editor) and the camera model is changed to DMC-GH3:

gwnYxNz.

I know these are 100% crops and peopel will shout "pixel peeper!!!" but the issue does definitely make a difference at typical viewing sizes in my recent experience, particularly to portraits.

The issue also definitely affects RAW files from G6, maybe other cameras in G series? I have reported this issue to the Apple via the Aperture feedback form, hopefully I will hear from them soon. In the mean time, I'm following the advice here when importing photos from my GX7 to Aperture: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53734107

• Like Like x 1
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    so that's why all lenses tested on GX7 scored bad according to DxOMark?

3. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I wouldn't have thought so, it's a known issue that only affects RAW files processed with Apple Aperture.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43