1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aperture blade chattering Pany 14mm on EPL-1?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ranger Rick, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Search didn't show any results. I got an EPL-1 as 2nd body/backup to my GH2, at a good price. Very surprised that my 14mm Panasonic lens has this issue on the EPL-1. Anyone else run into this? I assumed since I avoided the 25mm lens I wouldn't run into this.

Isn't all this "activity" bad for the lens, as well as being annoying?

Thanks.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I never noticed the Pana 14 chattering on my Olympus bodies, but I'm convinced that there is sample variation (some lenses chatter more) and/or there is human variation (some people don't hear it well).

The frustrating thing is that Panasonic and Olympus haven't solved all the chattering, while Fuji solved it with an X-Pro1 firmware update just a few weeks after it came to their attention as an issue.

3. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Mine does it. Same lens same body as yours.....

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Bummer. That is upsetting. Oly and Pany can only benefit, IF they resolve this issue together. The chatter is THE only issue that I could see myself returning the OMD, if I ever get one, which is looking difficult with the supply situation.

5. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Thanks for your replies. I am dumbfounded about the lack of manufacturer response, coming from other systems where something like this eventually gets response.

Olympus is no longer a camera I would consider buying, even the OMD, which is very attractive. But I want to use my Panasonic lenses, find the chattering a PITA, so will stick to Panasonic. Thankfully, I won't lose much on selling the EPL-1. Lesson learned.

6. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    Just got this lens, and on my E-PL1 it chatters like crazy, and not just when I half-press the shutter release, but simply when I move the camera around without my finger even being on the release button at all. I had no idea this was a problem with this lens/body combination until I just put it on the body and went "what the...????" Did a quick search and ran across this thread. It's like I have a maraca in my hand. I suppose I was thinking about a newer body anyway...

7. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    Got rid of the EPL1 and picked up an EPL2 - the chattering has been reduced dramatically, I'd say by at least 70%, probably more.

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I shoot 100% in manual mode, most of the time wideopen, so I never notice any chattering with any lens I have on my 2 e-pl1 bodys, when the situation dictates I stop down the aperature in manual mode, I still don't hear chattering.

Lenses used: p20mm, fisheye, p14mm, kit lens, 12-50 lens, pl25mm, oly 45mm.

9. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    It would not chatter in manual mode since it doesn't adjust aperture automatically.

10. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    EXACTLY,

problem solved, shoot in manual. :2thumbs:

11. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    The 45-200 I had for a day was making a horrible clanking sound. Like something was adjusting in the lens constantly. Does that lens have it too? I shoot in M and AV not in TV (sorry M and A, not S). It did it even when I wasn't pushing the shutter. Just moving the camera around like santiclaws. It couldn't have been the aperture since I shoot M and AP. Is this the chattering everyone talks about with some panny lenses on the OMD? I thought the lens was defective.

12. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    But I'm lazy.