Aperture 4?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Kaze, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    My trial of Aperture 3 has just come to an end and I've decided to purchase it. However, having been caught out before with buying from Apple then hey presto the next week a newer version appears, I'm thinking of holding off for the next version.

Looking at the Aperture history version 2 was released in Feb '08, v3 in Feb '10 so I'm guessing v4 is imminent!?!

Have i got this right? Anyone got any insider info?

2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I've been using aperture 3 for 15 months and any upgrade the may come along would have to be something really special for me to want to change.
    In fact there is only one thing that could improve it for me, and that only a minor point .
    It deals with the raw files from my G3 almost perfectly, most of the time no editing has to be done. It's quick & I find simple to use (compared to LR)
    It's a lot of program for a little outlay.
    4 might be along shortly , and it might not.
    The question is, do you like Aperture 3
    What would you use while waiting for a possible 4 ?
    Just get it bought ! It's good enough :)

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I've not heard any rumors of an imminent upgrade. Is it worth $79 now and at some unknown time in the future another $79 for v4? Compared to new and upgrade pricing of other products I think it's a good choice for Mac users planning on staying Mac users.

Fred

4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Lightroom is coming out with a new version soon and as you noticed it has been nearly 2 years since Aperture 3 was released, so my guess is a new version will be out sometime this year...but do you want to wait if it doesn't come out until the fall, say?

5. jeffek

jeffek New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2011
    I have read the new version will be called Aperture X and is due out soon. This is via the rumor mill.

6. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Many thanks for all the replies, some good advice & suggestions.

I've decided to hold off for now, as looking at the version history I'm gambling on the new one being out soon. In the meantime I've downloaded Lightroom 4 beta and am enjoying playing around with this, so far I'm quite impressed and it increases my options for what next, though being an iPad user from a workflow perspective I'll more likely go with Aperture.

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    and if this insider knows when the next imac will be released.... *palms a $100*

lol

8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I certainly hope they don't repeat the Final Cut X fiasco...

9. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    I'm with you there! That's the risk of holding off, though I'm getting on very well with Lightroom and that gives me a good fallback, would just need to work out how to sync it smoothly with the iPad then I'd be more than happy :)

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the final cut story is very different from the Aperture story... FCPX was a nasty pill that had to be swallowed if there was to be a way forward... the core code of final cut was very old....more than 10 years and would not easily transition to newer technologies

The latest rev of FCPX is very good indeed for the uses of most of the users here...

Aperture on the other hand is a much newer codebase.. In the early days it was perhaps ahead of the hardware, but version 3 is a very good product on a modern Mac.

That said it is probably due for a rev sometime this year.. given the new way Apple sell software it will probably be 80 dollars for the next version..same as it is for the current version.... the concept of upgrades has gone...

Deal is that Aperture 3... the current version is a very capable product and well with the 80dollars

version 4 with be better without a doubt... but i doubt the core functionality will change that much

K

11. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    The lightroom 4 beta is out right now. I've downloaded it and am using it. I would imagine the new Lightroom 4 will be out before too long.