1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aperture 3 Update

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by CCRoo, Oct 13, 2011.

1. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm still downloading all of today's Apple software updates so I won't be able to try out the latest Aperture 3 iteration. I'm working (playing?) in 32-bit mode these days because Aperture started to crawl in 64-mode after the Lion upgrade. I wonder if I'll have to stay where I am until Aperture 4 or if we'll see major improvements right now...

2. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Beware-- I just updated this morning, used it fine for awhile, then just now have been trying to import the day's snaps and the bloody thing (Aperture 3.2) is crashing over and over. Really ticked-off at Apple right now. Their iOS5 update to my iPad was also FAR from smooth.

3. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    yes BEWARE!!

update 3.2 killed Aperture on my Mac ... something very specific with my iMac model (found this by googling). And downgrading back to 3.1.x wouldn't help as I've already upgraded my album.

So basically, Aperture is unsuable at the moment.... would be happy if anyone can HELP!! :)

4. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    muzee-- check out this discussion about how to revert the library or open it in 3.1.3.
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/16392598#16392598
    After fighting it for a day and a half, and all sorts of copying, backing-up, fiddling, and making new vault, I finally got back to where I was before this fiasco. I am stilled ticked-off at Apple and I am not the only one

5. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Aperture

Updated mine, no probs at all. also updated iphone yesterday without problems.
    I am running on snow leopard . Did not upgrade to lion because i was more than happy with existing.

IMac OS X 3.2 GHz intel core i3
    8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

When you say model specific ?

6. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The problem is with any Core Duo Mac. These were the first Intel processor Macs and were quickly updated to Core 2 Duo processors which have no problems (that I've heard of) with Aperture 3.2. The problem is only with raw image files. When you try to load one it crashes. JPEG and TIFF files seem to be ok. Since my library is almost entirely raw I'm kind of pissed right now.

I'm looking seriously at Lightroom again.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  8. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Thanks. I would have searched the net myself , but having to deal with super fast download speeds of a fantastic 10kbps ! Makes searches a little time consuming :mad::mad::mad:

BT WHERE IS MY PROMISED 2 meg MINIMUM !

9. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    I doubt this is a RAW only problem ... I have very few RAW files, and the albums/ images i'm trying to open are all JPEGS.

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    This is the first I've heard of a problem that wasn't associated with raw image files. What processor are you running it on? Is it crashing when trying to load any file?

Fred

11. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    mine was crashing even trying to open any project which had raw files in it, so it seems to just need a sniff of raw and it collapses...

I have not seen ANYONE with a CoreDuo Mac come forward to say they do NOT have problems, so it seems to be a BIG problem on ALL CoreDuo Macs-- IMHO there is no excuse for Apple to release and push the update to those very machines and cause such problems.

No, they do not have to necessarily make all updates available for older Macs, but they should not give us updates which cause such problems. If anyone at Apple tested this on a single CoreDuo Mac they would have seen the problem within a few minutes. It is pervasive, not exceptional.

Not only have they pushed us software that crashes and makes it impossible to get to our old files without going to heroic lengths, BUT they have not yet even ACKNOWLEDGED this widespread problem.

really disappointing

12. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm running a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac and it's working pretty fine for me. By that I mean that I've had it quite unexpectedly once since I updated last Friday, but that's the only time I've had a problem. Also the only time I can remember having a problem with Aperture in the year of so I've been using it.

13. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    PS to my previous post: I shoot in RAW so I've been working in RAW all the time since the update. If memory serves me well, I was changing the RAW settings on a shot when it unexpectedly quit, but I've done that with some other shots without any problems. Normally I rarely touch the RAW settings.