1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aperture 3 - over it...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by nickthetasmaniac, Jan 15, 2014.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    This is more of an out and out rant, quite a long time in the making, than a question or any sort.

Why does Apple insist on changing the default RAW processing every time they issue an upgrade for Aperture 3? Generally speaking, the change is fairly minor, and quite easy to adjust to, but no recently upgrading to v3.5.1 - wow, I'm blown away, and thats not a good thing...

On uploading EM5 files to Aperture they look great - great, accurate colour, good balance between noise control and detail retention, good dynamic range and nice transitions between highlights and shadows. In the past this has been how they've stayed, Aperture 3 seemingly willing to leave the files essentially as-shot and thus leaving me to work on subtle edits to achieve The Look. The EM5 does a great job in-camera and for me RAW processing has always been about tweeking.

Not now though, by the time it's finished processing the files have been butchered. Massively oversaturated, brutal clipping of the individual colour channels, especially red and blue, terrible colour noise, terrible skin tones, terrible shadow/highlight transitions, the list goes on.

I've spent a month trying to work out a general default preset to use as a base and I'm getting no where. Frankly I'm tired of having to work out the basics on every single file I use.

I've been resisting the call of Lightroom for a while now but I'm over it - Apple I'm done.

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i dont think ive even noticed this! mebbe i super process things too much to notice, tho, lol. yeah, if i were u and it were driving me bonkers trying to get a nice simple flow going, id move to lr then. have you tried dxo or any of the others?

3. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Why most pros use C1 or LR :)

4. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    +1 for C1, and an interface that I prefer over LR.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've been a Apple person for the better part of a decade. I basically like their stuff - hardware and software. But over the past year or two, every update of everything has become slightly more annoying than the last version. This is new for Apple and they'd better take heed.

6. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I've also been an Apple person for a while, first because that's what my Uni used then due to personal taste. But this latest major upgrade for Aperture just seems change for the sake of change, very few of the 'improvements' do anything for real world use ability.

No I haven't used C1, and LR only briefly. I'll download trials of both.

7. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Well, like anything, use the tools that work for you. I haven't noticed any changes in RAW handling, however.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I use v3.5.1 and I like it; I have not had the issues that you have. Aperture vs. Lightroom debates are as old and boring as Canon vs. Nikon debates. As mjw said, use the tool that you prefer.

9. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Right, so no other EM5/Aperture 3 users are noticing a difference in RAW processing? Odd

10. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    IMHO LR is the best over all tool for DAM and the new profiles have helped on the OMD a lot not sure about the panny ?

I use C1 a lot and think the output is a bit better ? but then again that is a personal taste kinda thing

if I could have only ONE software to do my photo work it would be LR ? but again i don't have to have just one :) hahahaha

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I haven't seen this issue on the the MAC or other photography sites that I follow. If I missed something, perhaps you can provide a link? Maybe others will weigh in with the same problem that you have.

12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    By the way, what screen/monitor are you using?

13. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm using a two-gen old 15" MacBook Pro

14. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Can't help you with EM5 info Nick but I will say that Aperture renders my EM1 files very very we'll. Aperture is due for an overhaul, I certainly don't think Apple have abandoned it and hopefully a new version will be released soon.

15. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    How about this: With the current version of the RAW convertor for E-M1 raw files, try loading in some long exposures. Aperture will turn them all magenta or pink depending on how it feels. I have to keep those exposures separate and work with them in OV first and then export to TIFF to put them into Aperture. No imminent fix appears to be on the horizon either.

Otherwise, I've used Aperture for years and this is the first time I've ever been mad at it.

16. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    Maybe I should give Aperture another try.... RAW processing has been buggy for months now, maybe this update changes things for the better.... :wink:
    In my case Aperture oversaturates Blue (and red to a degree) areas so extreme that detail is lost and it's impossible to get anywhere near the camera-jpeg output (better is totally out of the question....) This was the case with the G5 and EPM-1. A OS reinstall changed nothing, tried every trick/method (and I worked 7 years for Apple, I know quite a lot about this stuff...)

So, it's Capture ONE for me...and I'm very pleased with the output, well worth the money. Workflow isn't as nice.... but then... not all my pictures get the raw treatment...so it's ok...

17. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Apple just released an OSX update which includes:

Addresses a color cast issue on some Olympus OM-D E-M1 images

Hope that helps!

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I saw the OSX update, unfortunately the OP's camera is the E-M5.

19. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Lightroom 4 is great for my purposes - I particularly like the interface and workflow.

20. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Lightroom is great. Love the interface and the results. I just wish I knew how to speed it up!