Aperture 3 or Bibble Pro 5.2: your preference

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Allan Crowson, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Please, no flames! I am interested in comparisons of Aperture 3 and Bibble Pro 5.2, specifically concerning editing raw and jpeg from the E-PL1. I'm interested in the following areas, especially:
    • Ease of editing
    • Issues with .orf and Olympus jpegs in particular
    • Catalogs and digital asset management
    • Hardware resources (destined for use on Mac Mini Intel 2.53 Ghz (last of the first form factor Mini) and MBP 15" 2.5 (last of the MBPs before the unibodies).

I would like to know what you appreciate or miss in the programs.

I know that I can try out both, but would like to learn from others' experiences as well.

Thank you in advance!
  2. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    do not know about bibble, but I have had no issues with aperture 3 with raw or jpeg editing. So I like aperture.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    I'm the opposite, I have no experience with Aperture and am content with Bibble, also currently using a Linux OS so pleased that Bibble is cross platform.

4. shoturtle,

What kind of Mac hardware are you using?
  5. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    I run it on 2 macbook pro 13, no problems with it. Just know that aperture likes allot of RAM, I have 8gb on one and 4gb on the other
  6. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do you notice a difference between the 4gig machine and the 8gig machine?
  7. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    The 8gb runs faster, 4gb is not bad. I just upgraded the 8gb and was running 4gb since aperture 3 came out. And 4GB worked well. Forget about running it on a 2gb machine.
  8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's a bit hard for me to say one or the other as I only use Aperture. I don't know which is better, but I like what I've got with Aperture. Personally I love the UI of iPhoto '11 ( one of the best photo interfaces out there ). So for the hard work of processing RAW I use Aperture and export as jpeg into iPhoto.
    The streamlined and fast interface of iPhoto is the best I find to show photos to friends ect. Whereas for adjusting Raw images with my preset, Aperture is a killer app. (this means 'good' to me:)
  9. Optical Thrombosis

Optical Thrombosis Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    Having used both, I can honestly say that its horses for courses. Whichever does it for you. They are both powerful packages.

Aperture probably has the nicer, slicker interface, but Bibble is better value for money! If you are on a budget - get Bibble. You might find that Bibble runs better on older less powerful macs. Aperture does like a lot of system resource to work.
  10. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    aperture 3 is 80 dollars, pretty good value on the apple apps store.