Aperture 3 - how to use it, RAW, jpeg and more

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
tom

the master file can be RAW, JPG, TIFF - that is the file you originally import into Apertures world.

Aperture will not and cannot write to this original master file

When you look at a file in Aperture, what it is doing is reading the master file and displaying it on the screen...(This is why Aperture likes a very good video card, much of this processing is done by the GPU)

At this point no actual adjusted file exists so nothing extra has been added to your hard disk

When you make an adjustment, Aperture updates the screen to take account of that adjustment and makes a note of the adjustment you made. As you make adjustments, Aperture creates a 'recipe' of what needs to be applied in order to reproduce that picture from the information in your master file.

When you create another version of a image you are either starting a new recipe or adding to an existing recipe. You still haven't created another large image file, just a tiny recipe that Aperture looks after for you and associates with your master file. Using Lift and Stamp you can copy the recipe from one image to another.

Its only when you export or send to an external editor that a new image file ( TIFF, JPEG or PSD) is actually created.

It is a very powerful way to work and very efficient in terms of disc usage. It also can be very fast to correct a whole series of images.

Hope this makes things clear

K

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Did a little more looking around re those odd "artifacts" - the boxes that appear sometimes but not all the time when I've used a "preset" and I believe also when I've just done an adjustment and I found this: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11104656&#11104656

So far none of this has effected my outcomes, but it's not a very good issue to have. For me it only showed up when I went to Snow Leopard. Here's hoping for a fix, soon. So please anyone else who is experiencing this do send feedback to Apple via that link I posted earlier in post #40.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
creating borders

Tom, I noticed a comment you made elsewhere about creating borders on photos... Apparently Bordersfx is working on an updated version for Aperture 3. You might want to look at this site if you're not familiar with it: http://www.iborderfx.com/:flowers_2:

I know nothing about this, except that I searched it with in the Apple discussions of Aperture and quite a few people had been using it with previous versions of Aperture.

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A3 has been especially frustrating this AM: crashes and freezes. Seems to be related to using the Brushes. Am I getting more aggressive w/Brushes or is the program getting worse? Must be time for another update... :rolleyes:

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What about a A3 Contest???

Hi all,

Anyone envious of the ability to share processes in LightZone and thereby learn the Post Processing craft more effectively? Brian is doing a wonderful job of creating a sub-community around LightZone, including the monthly contest based on a common RAW image file.

Well, we Aperture 3 users can do the same! For any image you can save the Adjustments Preset and export it - not as convenient as being 'built-in' to the jpeg, but quite easy.

What do you think?

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I've read a bit about this Tom and probably should try it... I tend to think most of my shots are so different from each other and need different touches that it wouldn't work but realize as I am typing this that this really does not make sense at all!

(Did you happen to pick this up via ApertureExpert or MacCreate? I've found some very helpful stuff on there.)

Kevin's earlier points post #41 where he wrote
When you make an adjustment, Aperture updates the screen to take account of that adjustment and makes a note of the adjustment you made. As you make adjustments, Aperture creates a 'recipe' of what needs to be applied in order to reproduce that picture from the information in your master file.

When you create another version of a image you are either starting a new recipe or adding to an existing recipe. You still haven't created another large image file, just a tiny recipe that Aperture looks after for you and associates with your master file. Using Lift and Stamp you can copy the recipe from one image to another.

Its only when you export or send to an external editor that a new image file ( TIFF, JPEG or PSD) is actually created.

It is a very powerful way to work and very efficient in terms of disc usage. It also can be very fast to correct a whole series of images.
got me to thinking about this idea...of one's own "preset" Is this Lift and Stamp different from what you're talking about?

P.S. An A3 contest??:eek: Only if the winners promise to give me step by step directions.:thumbup:

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
BB-

I did get the info needed from Maccreate.

Lift and Stamp is great within A3 for applying the same group of adjustments to different pics in your Library. If you want to save the Lift for more easy access, you would do so as a Preset.

Normally Presets are used when you really like a 'look', eg, a particular version of Cross-Processing or B&W conversion.

I am proposing to use the Preset in a very different way: to duplicate what Brian does with LightZone: share specific adjustments that are unique to a specific, common picture file (could be Raw or jpeg). Each person downloads the common file, makes their 'perfect' adjustments and uploads their version. Each person's adjustments are saved as unique Presets, intended only for that common file. We then can trade the Presets to answer the question: how did they achieve that look? The saved Preset would only be used for learning - not for the reason intended by Apple.

Anyway... that was the thought. No need for a contest...though that might be fun! BTW, another way of thinking of the Preset IS the step by step instructions you'd like to have for the winning version!

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
This sounds rather interesting, Tom. If you want to do it I don't see why not to go for it. Of course there may just be two or three of us sharing our trade secrets.:biggrin:

I'm a bit distracted right now...but if you want to why not put a suggestion of how you'd like to do it along the Lightzone lines in a PM to Amin? I think we'd need a gallery space, yes?

I think it's a good idea but I just have to get offline now and won't be back for a while... Let me know what you decide!

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Sync Aperture & iPad and a free live course on Aperture 3

Thanks to a post by john1027 on The iPad thread, I thought I'd pass on some of the information here. One handy link is about "How to Sync Aperture 3 with your iPad" and can be found here on Planet iPad. Another link that John posted that will take you to the site of photographer Scott Bourne http://photofocus.com/ and in reading a bit more I came across a free live course he is offering online on Aperture 3.

This course begins on May 17th and is free. It can be downloaded once it begins for a fee. I haven't gotten as far as learning what the fee might be, but thought I'd bring it to Aperture user's attention. It's a 3 week course, on Mondays, and you can read more about it by scrolling down to his April 7th blog entry on his blog: http://photofocus.com/
My first class at CreativeLive is on Aperture 3.0 and will run on May 17, 24 and 31.

If there’s anything in particular that you’d like to see me teach, send me an email at bournemediagroup@gmail.com.
That's it, just wanted to let Aperture folks know what was out there.:smile:

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I enjoy Scott Bourne's point of view and follow him on twitter he used to be on This Week in Photography podcast too. I have already signed up for another class at creativelive.com for next week with Art Wolfe, the Aperture 3 class sounds interesting too.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Thanks John! I did already update but unfortunately it doesn't "heal" my older MacBook Pro's graphics card problems. I'm afraid the only solution for me will be a new more up-to-date Macbook Pro or an iMac.

Still the upgrade did deal with some issues, for sure. I still really like Aperture. I look forward to eventually being able to use it fully fledged with a new computer.

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
It will be much better for you at that point. Whatever you get, I would recommend (for a number of reasons) to get at least 4gb of memory. I just upped my 2 year old Macbook from 2 to 4 and it is much better handling Aperture. Not sure of your plans, but be sure to consider the refurbs on Apple's site. Some deals aren't that deep but on occasion you can find some decent deals and/or some clearance items. You get a one year limited warranty but the extended Apple Care is available also.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Aperture update 3.0.3 is here

John, I want to apologize - I hadn't updated to the 3.0.3 yet!:redface: I'm sure it will improve certain things...but there are still the glitches on my end, though they might not be quite as severe. We'll see and eventually I will upgrade and give this computer to my husband.:wink:

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
BB-

Can't find any references to the Aperture 3 webcast on Mondays...can you provide a link? Maybe the class is full?? :frown:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom