1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Aperture 3 - Auto Curves Separate Function

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Maczero, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    I have been a reasonably faithful user of Aperture from its v2 days (slight flirtations with LightRoom and LightZone notwithstanding). However, I have only recently become aware of the Auto Curves Separate function (it's the auto button with the three colour circles on it the Curves brick).

Once I have sorted out white balance very often my first adjustment in A3 will be to apply this - it only takes one click and if you don't like the results it can be undone in one step. I find that for most images it really punches up the colours. I don't have a particular problem with my GF1's jpegs, although I normally shoot raw; however, this may well get results closer to Oly colours, or at least how I imagine them to be.

I find it best to do this adjustment before using the Recovery and Highlight sliders.

Have other A3 users tried this? If you have, what do you think?

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Andrew, I have tried this, however I've only used it when I am converting a photograph to black and white. I'm kind of embarrassed to say that my approach to this is still somewhat haphazard. I am trying to get a regular step by step approach down...and slowly but surely finding my way. I would say that generally speaking, I use this option for black and white, if I don't find my other options are quite what I want.

Thanks for bringing this up, more food for thought!

3. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Hang on, I'll try and show you an example of what I mean.

Andrew

4. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    BBW

Here we go. Bear in mind that this technique doesn't work for every image, nor does it always show a significant difference. Howevber, I normally find it worth trying out as a starting point pretty early in my Aperture workflow. To show the difference that it can make here is an OOC GF1 jpeg taken a little while ago on a cycle ride in Perthshire:

Applying the auto curves separate function and then using the Recovery slider to bring back the Highlights that get blown out during this process I get the following image:

You can see that it has dealt with the slight mauve hue that is often complained of in GF1 jpegs.

BTW, I find that moving the white point right in the extended curves view can really help with highlight recovery.

Let me know if this has helped at all.

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Andrew thank you for taking the time to post these two images. I will have to take a look at my E-PL1 photos and see what I think. It's certainly clear that this worked out wonderfully for this shot!

I have to add - what a glorious place to go for a ride!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.