Aperture 3 - Auto Curves Separate Function

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Maczero, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    I have been a reasonably faithful user of Aperture from its v2 days (slight flirtations with LightRoom and LightZone notwithstanding). However, I have only recently become aware of the Auto Curves Separate function (it's the auto button with the three colour circles on it the Curves brick).

Once I have sorted out white balance very often my first adjustment in A3 will be to apply this - it only takes one click and if you don't like the results it can be undone in one step. I find that for most images it really punches up the colours. I don't have a particular problem with my GF1's jpegs, although I normally shoot raw; however, this may well get results closer to Oly colours, or at least how I imagine them to be.

I find it best to do this adjustment before using the Recovery and Highlight sliders.

Have other A3 users tried this? If you have, what do you think?

Andrew

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Andrew, I have tried this, however I've only used it when I am converting a photograph to black and white. I'm kind of embarrassed to say that my approach to this is still somewhat haphazard. I am trying to get a regular step by step approach down...and slowly but surely finding my way. I would say that generally speaking, I use this option for black and white, if I don't find my other options are quite what I want.

Thanks for bringing this up, more food for thought!

3. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Hang on, I'll try and show you an example of what I mean.

Andrew

4. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    BBW

Here we go. Bear in mind that this technique doesn't work for every image, nor does it always show a significant difference. Howevber, I normally find it worth trying out as a starting point pretty early in my Aperture workflow. To show the difference that it can make here is an OOC GF1 jpeg taken a little while ago on a cycle ride in Perthshire:

Applying the auto curves separate function and then using the Recovery slider to bring back the Highlights that get blown out during this process I get the following image:

You can see that it has dealt with the slight mauve hue that is often complained of in GF1 jpegs.

BTW, I find that moving the white point right in the extended curves view can really help with highlight recovery.

Let me know if this has helped at all.

Andrew

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Andrew thank you for taking the time to post these two images. I will have to take a look at my E-PL1 photos and see what I think. It's certainly clear that this worked out wonderfully for this shot!

I have to add - what a glorious place to go for a ride!