Aperture 3 and Olympus EXIF problems

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dothraki, Feb 22, 2012.

1. dothraki

dothraki Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2011
    São Paulo, Brazil
    The Problem
    Hello, I’ve been have some troubles with EXIF info on Aperture when using my E-PL2 and I think it’s worth sharing.

Only recently I noticed that Aperture was not showing the correct EXIF info on the Metadata tab (Camera, lens, ISO, shutter speed, etc). For some photos it didn’t recognize the Camera or the lens, showing as Unknown Camera and Unknown Lens, but showing the other info right (ISO, aperture, etc).

But for other pictures there were NO information whatsoever.

The searching
    I’m running the latest Lion and Aperture versions, with all available updates, the RAW processing was working fine, but the EXIF was a mess.

After installing Olympus Viewer 2, just to be sure that the information was on the RAW file, I found out that all the information was indeed in the file.

Then I imported a new batch of photos and for my surprise all the EXIF info was right this time!

The Solution
    I didn’t know, but apparently you MUST install the Olympus Viewer 2, even if you have no plans in using it, to have the correct information shown on Aperture.

Well, this is part of the solution, I still had all my previous pictures with the wrong information.

The final step was quite easy, but I also found it by accident. All I had to do was to select all the pictures with the wrong info and right click -> Update from Masters or from the Menu Metadata -> Update from Masters, this will cause Aperture to reload the EXIF info from the RAW file, but this time Aperture knows how to read it.

I also found a way to include the Lens info when using a legacy or adapted lens in a way that shows on Aperture, but I'll leave it for another post.
    • Like Like x 1