Aperture 3 and Lens correction

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by thearne3, Jul 31, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I know this was settled last year (pre-A3?), but now that m43 lens are becoming a bigger part of my portfolio, I'm wondering if Aperture 3 still does NOT read/correct for lens issues from the RAW file?

Any change?

Also, I gather LR automatically corrects based on info in the RAW file - assuming A3 does not, are you forced to use a plug-in for each picture, or is there a more automated approach?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Its my understanding that Aperture 3 does do lens correction... but I am away from home and don't have my 17mm that I know had issues with Aperture 2.

what lenses are supported I don't know

K

3. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Thanks, Kevin. Searching around the 'net, the answer seems to be 'No'. I don't currently have a lens to test - I think the 20mm is pretty good w/o correction.

I sent the Oly 12 back, thinking I'd try the Panny 14 at save some $$. However, if A3 isn't correcting the barrel distortion, I could be in trouble! I don't want to have to use a plug-in on every shot...

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The 20 has noticeable barrel distortion uncorrected. It isn't severe, but it's enough to serve as test. See DPR's results about halfway down this page: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/panasonic_20_1p7_o20/page3.asp

Most people don't know that LR is applying these corrections, and most wouldn't know if Aperture 3 were. I know for sure that Aperture 3 applies the corrections to LX3 files and would be surprised if it weren't doing so for Micro 4/3 lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 3
  7. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Thanks, Amin. I just posted your link over at DPR...that's where the confusion arose.

Thanks, Alan. I had seen that. The issue at DPR that I was trying to clear up (then got doubtful myself!) was 1) lens correction from RAW vs. 2) distortion correction a la PTLENS. The latter is a feature (I gather) of LR, but not A3, except by plugin. The former (we have now confirmed) happens in both.

Funny how misinformation can get circulated so easily!

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I posted there as well. It's too bad the Apple support discussion ranks so high in a Google search, has the wrong answer, and is archived so no one can correct the information!

• Like Like x 1