Aperture 3 and beachball???

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Lumixy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi folks,

I was using a Windows desktop for my pictures that I had built myself and decided to go Apple. I bought a brand new Macbook Pro after seeing a lot of people using them for photography. I got Aperture 3 and have been using it a fair bit. I also got the trial version of Nik Software plugins.

Whats starting to annoy me is that I keep on getting the 'beachball' when processing images... I have 4gb memory ram and have noticed a lot of people upgrade their ram to 8gb.

Just want to hear advice from people who use Aperture 3 on their Macbooks and what they have done to make their system run faster.

Thanks

MACBOOK SPEC:

Intel Core i5.
    Processor speed 2.4GHz.
    4GB.
    500GB SATA hard drive.
    13.3in Back-lit LED display.
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics card.

2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I have a quad core MBP that I got last year. It still only has 4gb of ram and I haven't noticed too much performance issues. I do get the occasional beachball, depending on what I do.

I have noticed that Aperture isn't the most stable of products. If I get a lot of beachball, I wait until it's done, quit Aperture and restart it. Seems to help...

3. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks Starlabs. The beachball depends on what I am doing like you said. I'll give that a try. Cheers :thumbup:

4. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, more RAM is always better and the size of available space on your drive usually has a big effect for buffering. I've been working on Macs forever and always stuff as much RAM into them as I can and always have a big drive with available space, but I work in graphics for a living so those two things are a given.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Which Macbook do you have?

More memory is better. Max it out if you can afford it.
    You might want to put your library on a fast 3.5" external HD too rather than the internal 2.5".
    Even better would be to use solid state.

Download and install MenuMeters-very useful for seeing what is maxing out. Processor, drive etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I'm not sure what the graphics specs are on your MB, but AP is very graphics board intensive. I have a MBP with dual graphics chips. Even so, performance increased when I upgraded to 8gb ram. YMMV...

• Like Like x 1
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Even though I'm happy with 4GB of ram... it's so cheap now that I would recommend you upgrading to 8GB (if you don't mind installing it yourself - asking Apple to do it is basically handing them free undeserved $$$!!!!)

• Like Like x 1
  8. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    My wife and I run Aperture on our MacBook Pro unibodies. These computers are about 3 years old and my wife's computer died and we had to replace it yesterday. Here are some observations which may help.

First, Aperture on my Dual Core machine is a little slow, but I was able to get a performance boost by upgrading my RAM from 4 gigabytes to 8 gigabytes. I installed the RAM myself and heartily recommend getting more RAM.

My wife's old computer was due for a RAM upgrade, but as mentioned before it died. Her new computer is much faster than my dual core and operates well. She has 4 gigabytes of RAM and sees no need to get more. I am envious and wish I can get a new MacBook Pro!

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  9. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Aha.

Aperture shunts a lot of work on to the GPU. Not sure how well this works with integrated graphics cards.

More memory will definitely help as intel graphics share system memory.

• Like Like x 1
  10. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    More RAM will help. However, Aperture sometimes beachballs / runs like quicksand on my top of the line 2011 era i7 Macbook Pro with 8 GB of RAM. I noted this in another thread and people didn't believe me, ugh.

• Like Like x 1
  11. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    There is another solution of course :)

12. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have the following Macbook, only a month old (2.4GHz MacBook Pro (MD313LL/A)):
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) - Technical Specifications

Thanks Jumbotron. This is my first Apple computer and am totally new. I think I will upgrade the RAM like you said and other people have advised on here.

13. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    @ 43hk: Thanks for the advice. The Kingston ram upgrade is fairly reasonable (60 euros). Not too sure on whether or not to do the SSD upgrade yet. I know it drastically improves the start up time of programs/battery but the laptop is still under warranty and I read somewhere the third part SSD drives have no temperature thermostat thing. Makes the laptop run the fan on full speed constantly.

I will check the MenuMeters app put. Thanks very much :2thumbs:

14. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    @ TimAllen: Whats the other option Tim? I bet you will say to buy a windows system :tongue:

@supermaxv: It's a bit annoying that after spending that amount of cash on a new system and buying Aperture 3 that it performs like that. But to be honest I wish I went Apple a long time ago. Love using mine.

15. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Some more things to try.

Upgrade OS X to latest version and check aperture is latest versions. There was some issues with Aperture under 10.7.1. Since then both have been updated.

Also aperture is due for an upgrade in the next few months....apparently.

Check online as there is much discussion on this subject. Some people have had this cured by deleting caches and pref files etc

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I rarely ever get a beach ball . I have 8gig of ram on my iMac ,the processor must have a fair bit to do with that. I bought the upgraded processor . 3 point somthing ?Don't know. I'm in bed and can't be bothered to look. Can't say it's ever really slowed up much, even dealing with 100mb + tiff's from my 5dmk2 raw files
    I am very happy with it though. Never again will soil my fingers on a windows pc.
    I am an apple fan ! After 12 years of stress and upset and THIS PROGRAM IS NOT RESPONDING ! If I cold not have an apple I'd give up and buy new darkroom kit. Apple rocks ! Night all xxx

• Like Like x 1
  17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    You're a Mac owner, get used to the beachball. You'll be seeing a lot of it, though the bigger the computer's specs the better. Personally I wish they'd refresh the Mac Pro. MBP is too slow of a computer and since I am forced to use Mac I'd at least like to have a nice one. As for Aperture specifically, you probably want to have lots of memory. I just bought myself an 8GB upgrade for the Macbook Pro. It was twenty five dollars.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    @ 43hk: Thanks for that. I will check that out. That would very be very handy if it corrects it just by deleting a few files!!

@ Ripleys Baby: I wont be going near anything else apart from Apple now :) Very happy I bought this. Even if I have been broke for a month. Night night haha

19. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I use an MBP (early 2008) with 2.5 gig duo core 2 processor, 4 gig ram and the NVIDA 8600 GT with 512 mb of ram. Running Aperture has never been a problem. If your MBP has the shared Intel graphic card, that's the reason for the "beachball".

20. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I'm using a Mac Mini 2.53 Core 2 Duo / 4GB running 10.6 an I seldom see beachballs. But the Mini uses a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GPU instead of Intel and I do think it makes a difference in performance.