1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aperature 3 question.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelh, May 20, 2011.

1. I'm a doorknob when it comes to most things dealing with computer hardware and software. The question. If you purchase the significantly lower priced download apps vs. the actual discs are you out of luck if you need to uninstall and reinstall?

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    no, you can always reinstall it off the app store. I have brought apps form the app store, and have put them on multiple macs that I have. And if you delete it by mistake, just download it again, you will not be charge a second time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    No, since you are essentially purchasing through the App store you can re-download if necessary.

Apple maintains a record of your software purchases.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Just hang on to the email they send you with your license or activation number so you can plug it back in and activate it again if you need to re-download. You'll be fine.

-Ray

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    as far as I am aware there is no serial number related to the App store version of Aperture

k

6. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    no you do not have any lic key from the app store. It is all stored on the apple severs though your account. Just need to log into to your account to redownload anything you have purchased.

7. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    You can actually install it and reinstall it on any computer linked to your Apple/iTunes ID. I think you could only download it to the five computers allowed on your iTunes account. But you could copy it to any computer you own. Any computer linked to your iTunes account can update it automatically through the Mac App Store when new versions are released in that venue.

see:
    Mac App Store licensing and copy protection, explained | Software | MacUser | Macworld

8. Lack of support.

Scenario: In the near or distant future if the updated versions of Aperture are not able to read the RAW data of the GF1/G2 camera would this be the situation in which you want to have the discs vs. downloaded apps?

9. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    no need, aperture 3 updates automatically when every new raw are release. No need for the disk at all. And if you need to reload, just reload off the app store. I had aperture 3 a month after it was release. I have not had to use the disk for anything else.

10. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I don't think it has anything to do with discs vs downloaded versions of Aperture. The RAW converters are part of the OS X system software.

Apple updates the RAW converter software with patches periodically that will work for all of their photo softwares (iPhoto, Aperture, Image Capture, etc.), so it is independent of Aperture updates.

They just released the most recent in the past week or so, updating the RAW codecs to include the E-PL2. They are pretty quick to get these updates out when new cameras are released. Use the Software Update app to check periodically for updates to all your Apple softwares. Easiest is to set it in the System Control Panel for weekly automatic checks.

-Steve