1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

anyway to "reset" em1? camera frozen / broken

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lightmonkey, Apr 4, 2014.

1. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    3000 or so shutters in.... I mounted a O75/1.8 that just came back from warranty cleaning...

Camera turns on, shows a full image on LCD or EVF...nthrn shuts down after 3 seconds. Not responsive to any buttons at all.

Does the same thing with lens off.

When I turn it on I can hear a thud and see a little component try to slide over the sensor...not sure if its the shutter curtain or the stabilization locking the sensor in place.

Only change to camera was upgrading to recent firmware. Immediately after that I took a few test shots and it was okay.

Pulled battery already. Is there a way to reboot the camera?

2. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    Well looks like its going back to the factory / repair center.

Going to Iceland next month and will be pretty disappointed if its not returned by then

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Do you have a second battery to try?

Would try another battery FIRST!

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Good luck, their turn around time for repairs in the US seems to be 3+ weeks. The have had an E-M5 in for a shutter repair/replacement for over a month.

--Ken

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    There was a recent post where someone suggested powering up with the MENU button held down. That is part of the key sequence to enter diagnostic mode, and it unlocked a stuck camera. In fact, if the keys work, you can follow the shutter count sequence to see the error code screen.

However, if you get it unstuck, betcha it happens again on your trip. One thing that might help in your favor is that they seem to be replacing bad EM1's rather than repairing them, probably because the techs haven't had their training yet. You could contact the repair center and if they are feeling friendly, maybe they can tell you what's happening/

6. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    that was my first thought to try. holding menu during boot yields a battery and memory card logo on a blank screen. holding menu + ok during boot yields the standard overlays (albeit with blank screen). both ways they still remain unresponsive and shuts down after 3 seconds.

also tried it on a fully cycled battery.

luckily the a large olympus office and receive center is in the city. but supposedly the camera-specific repairs are done next door in slovakia

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I asked if you tried it with a SECOND battery...if you only have one battery even if it's fully charged it may be shutting down when used causing the camera to be shut down. There's a safety circuit in the battery that will shut down the battery if there's a problem with it.

8. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    my friend brought the EM5 (I had sold him) over for battery swap. same problem.

coincidentally that EM5 also has had warranty work for sensor problem.

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I wouldn't mess with this problem, even if you can get the camera unstuck. Send it in for warranty work. The E-M1's seem to be experiencing a number of issues early in the production run - which is not unusual for a new camera. Lightmonkey, do you have another camera to take to Iceland? If so, I'd send the E-M1 in and plan to take the second camera on the trip - and be pleasantly surprised if the E-M1 comes back in time.