Anyway to find our warranty coverage for a lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sunnygps, Feb 23, 2015.

1. sunnygps

sunnygps Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    I recently bought a 12-40 f2.8 from a third party seller off Amazon. It is used, but seems to be in an excellent condition.

I registered the lens online on the Olympus website, but I am not sure if the lens is covered under USA warranty or it is one of those grey market lens. Furthermore, I did purchase the extended warranty last week for the lens and am not sure if it is applicable - used lens bought from Amazon??

I did contact Olympus customer service and they said that there is no way for them to tell me if the lens is covered under US warranty or if the extended warranty will be applicable. I would think it would be very easy for Olympus to check based on the serial #...

Thanks!

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Being used, the original owner may have never registered it, so they have no way of knowing when it was originally sold. If you had a copy of the original owner's sales receipt, that might help to nail it down.

3. sunnygps

sunnygps Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    I understand it is difficult to figure out the original sale/purchase date, etc. But, Olympus should be able to tell me if the lens is under or was under US warranty. This way, I know the extended warranty I bought will work or not. I guess, I'll have to wait till I have to send the lens for repairs (i hope not).

In the meantime, I'll enjoy the lens and wait for my E-M5 II to ship.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    From my understanding, there is a 12 month warranty (USA) on the Olympus lenses. I believe that the 12-40 was released in early 2013. If this was sold to a retailer in the first run of lenses, bought by a customer and never registered with Olympus....they have no way of knowing what is going on with the lens.

Warranty from Olympus is non-transferrable.

This might help:
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/repair_pdfs/warranty_info.pdf