Anyway to erase only the RAW from within the E-PL1 camera when shooting RAW+Jpeg?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jambaj0e, Nov 11, 2010.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    So I have been shooting mostly RAW+Jpeg. Lot's of time, the Jpeg is sufficient and I don't really have to keep the RAW, or I just dump the RAW on my computer and keep the jpeg in the E-PL1.

Thing is, if I erase or move from the camera to my PC via Windows Explorer, the E-PL1 doesn't see it as free space, so I still have the same amount of shots left.

If I erase a photo or RAW+Jpeg from within the camera, then it sees it as free space.

So the question is, can I erase just the RAW file, not the Jpeg, from within the E-PL1?
  2. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald

You need to turn on the hidden settings menu, if you haven't already (in your manual, page 7) by going to the spanner menu and setting "MENU DISPLAY" to ON.

Then you can go to the cog menu (in your manual, page 77) and into sub-menu H, and change the ""RAW+JPEG ERASE" option to RAW.

Once this is done, pressing delete on an image in review mode will cause the raw file to be deleted first, and the JPEG to be deleted if you press it a second time. If you are in review mode, and zoom out to see multiple images at once, flag them and delete them, it will delete both raw and JPEG images (and will probably warn you of that). This means that you can only remove the raw files singly, which can be long-winded if you've taken a lot of photos.

When I delete the ORF files from my SD card using my PC, the space is properly recovered. Check that your operating system isn't simply moving them to a trash or recycle bin (or empty your bin, if it does).