Anything wrong with this OM-D E-M5 generic battery?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Amin Sabet, May 12, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    DSTE 3PCS 1450mAh BLN-1 BLN1 Battery + DC133 Charger for Olympus OM-D E-M5 EM5 | eBay

Three batteries and a charger for $40 with free shipping sounds pretty good to me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Amin. Only that you can't charge them in the original Olympus charger, you need to use the charger supplied. The supplied charger can charge your original battery though.....

It's in the very small print in the first line of the description, but I knew about this anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I ordered some on the 8th. Will report when they arrive...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'll let you know when I get my two-pack...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do they communicate with camera to show remaining charge?
  6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    From my understanding: no they don't. It doesn't "communicate with the camera" according to the vendor.

I don't mind using a diff charger, but not being able to see the power level is the deal breaker for me :frown:
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The description seems to indicate that it does relay information:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I kinda want to agree... But then I realize that I rarely ever notice my battery is DYING. I only notice it's DEAD. So I might as well not have the indicator anyways. Lol. But I do have 8 spares(this being my ep3) so I just am a flagrant battery wastr anyway ;)

- Eliot
  9. AverageCanadian

AverageCanadian Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2010
    Has anybody had concerns about using non OEM batteries in their equipment? I was looking at picking up a few backups for my G2 but I'm unsure I want to trust cheap batteries in the camera. I've had good luck with cheap batteries on Ebay with my phones but there is still that doubt in my mind.
  10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I use non OEM batteries all the time. The only concern is it not working or not lasting as long. For the price differential, I can live with it not lasting as long. Many do though. Occasionally I get a bad one. I got one today. It was just not formed properly. I didn't even bother trying it. I just sent off an email to the seller. Most are very good about it. They don't even want the bad one returned, they'll just send out another.
  11. AverageCanadian

AverageCanadian Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2010

hoping to get my battery in before my trip next weekend :)