1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anything longer than the 100-300?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jloden, Sep 1, 2012.

1. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    After getting back from my Alaska trip and seeing how much excellent use I got out of the 100-300, I have been thinking there are actually a few rare times I'd like to have something even longer available :eek:

Anyone have any recommendations for a telephoto with longer reach that works well on m4/3? AF would be nice if there's a suitable Four Thirds lens option, but I'm open to pretty much any suggestions at the moment... this is just an idle thought for now. Ideally I'd be looking for something that's not a 3ft long lens that will require a tripod and a sherpa to carry around, and that's not several thousand dollars in price.

2. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
  3. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Not sure how I feel about donut bokeh, but that looks interesting for the size and slightly longer focal length - thanks Chris!

You know.... I was just thinking, I bet I'll really miss the OIS from the Panasonic lenses with super long lenses. One time where IBIS would be handy!

4. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Heh, I'd never heard of the Opteka lenses, will have to see if I can find more info.

6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The photos of the moon I've seen taken with it are not as good as the Panny 100-300. Given that it's much bigger and heavier it's really a no go I think.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah if it can't out-perform the 100-300 it's pretty much a moot point.

Ideally I guess I'd like to see Panasonic (or Olympus) come out with an even longer tele zoom or prime for m4/3 but I imagine the market for that would be minuscule, so I'm not holding my breath.

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    You might want to look at 4/3 lenses and one of the teleonverters.

9. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    I use a Rmc Tokina 400mm f5,6:
    Sunset8.

and a Panagor 500mm mirror refex f8:
    P1210199.

Both in Konica AR mount, manual focus.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, I mentioned 4/3 lenses in my original post - was hoping for any specific recommendations as I'm not familiar with the FT offerings though. It looks like they're mostly really expensive (though high quality) lenses so it's probably more than I'd want to spend, even used.

A m4/3 teleconverter would be sweet, I'd gladly give up a stop or two of light for a TC with my 100-300 in the rare cases I actually need that much reach.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Just bought a cheap Samyang 500mm mirror lens here on the forum - I'll post some shots after it arrives. Not really expecting much, but it was cheap and I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd look at some older Nikon MF glass like the 400mm f/3.5 AIS or the 500 f/4 P AIS. Those lenses will be exceptionally sharp and should be available for a decent price.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thanks Bob - love to hear how it works for you. I looked at some of those mirror lenses and they're certainly cheap enough but I'd really like to see some real world images before I'd pull the trigger on one. If the images are acceptable (given appropriate expectations) then I might be ok with the limitations given how infrequently I'd need a 500mm - 1000mm lens option.

14. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thanks, will check those out!

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There are no 4/3 lenses longer than 300mm. The Olympus 300/2.8 will AF with adapter and is sharp and fast enough to work with a telephoto, but it will require a sherpa and costs more than several thousand dollars in price. I think Nikon manual focus and Canon FD are probably your best bet until we get some more native lenses for this purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thanks Amin, good to know. Might just stick with the 100-300 and hope a m4/3 teleconverter or longer lens option appears sometime in the future.

A manual lens might be an option but most of them seem to make the 100-300 look svelte, so I'm not sure it's worth the investment :smile:

17. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    Sigma 50-500. Tripod and sherpa wouldn't hurt, though. Affordable, ~$700-900 for the AF-D version. Haven't tried it with stills, but here's some video:

https://vimeo.com/34913922

[vimeo]34913922[/vimeo]

• Like Like x 1
  18. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I'm not sure if the GX1 has this feature but there is a digital zoom option on (some ?) Panasonic cameras. It is basically a crop but can help in certain circs with composition and focus, and the crop doesn't really reduce the quality of the image that much. Also useful if you need to increase visible reach while keeping a wider aperture.

19. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yes, GX1 does have this feature. I actually just tried it out a little earlier today. The basic tests I did seemed like it definitely reduced image quality. It also requires you to be in JPEG mode, which is a major downside for me (I shoot RAW). On balance I'd just as soon crop in post based on what I've seen of it so far.

I wish they'd offer a hardware teleconverter for m4/3 like they did for 4/3, I think that'd work fine for my uses even with the loss of a couple of stops of light. A 450mm or 600mm reach on m4/3 would be great for moon shots or wildlife where you don't have the option of getting in closer.

20. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    The lack of a long fast lens is the one remaining major gap in the m43 line up. A Panasonic (stabilised) 250 2 or 2.8 with high quality teleconverter would be great.

Have you ever looked into digiscoping ? Might be worth it if you do a lot of astro and long-distance wildlife.