anything comparable to e-pm2 at similar price point?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by whatsthegoodword, Feb 12, 2015.

1. whatsthegoodword

whatsthegoodword Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2015
    I was waiting for the e-pm3 but I guess that line has been discontinued by olympus. Does Panasonic make anything like the e-pm2 or better at a low price point? Not looking to do video, just pictures. I don't want something with a viewfinder or is too big, that was why I bought a small camera. The GF6 doesn't look better than the e-pm2, any suggestions?

I currently have an e-pm1 with some lenses.
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you looking to buy new or used? Can you state an actual budget? What improvements over the E-PM1 are you looking for?
  3. whatsthegoodword

Jan 31, 2015
    Don't mind buying a used e-pm2 but I know they were on clearance for $200 and I can't stand the thought paying $200 for a used one. The PL-7 looks nice but $600 is more than I'd like to spend. Not considering the GM1 for the same reason. I don't mind spending a bit on lenses since I know they won't depreciate much but the body prices drop like rocks after a few years. Don't care Olympus or Panasonic.

I do mostly lower light or indoor/shade photos and I heard the e-pm2 was 2 stops faster so I assume other newer tech cameras are similar. Any recommendations?
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think the GM1 is starting to come down in price if you look for body only deals or depackaged options. Previously the GX1 was the super deal people pointed to on the Panasonic front. It's a great camera, but I'm starting to really come around to Olympus's stabilization.

Don't immediately discount used, though. Many of the used excellent condition cameras will end up being those which have only had a few clicks and then been returned or just set aside for a while and then resold.
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It's better look in opposite way - get GM1+12-32mm lens and sell the lens.
    Used kit packages seems to go for $380-$430 on ebay and selling 12-32mm can net up to $200..
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
  7. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    The GM1 feels much more refined than the PM2, both build quality and usability. But the image quality is essentially the same, or even superior with the PM2 if it's conditions that benefit from in-body stabilization.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tkbslc

Panasonic GX1 is an amazingly high spec camera for what it sells for used (<$200). That would be my vote. E-Pm2 has great sensor quality, but the camera has terrible controls. (although coming from a PM1 you might be used to it! :smile:)

E-PL5 is also getting cheap on the used market. That's got the same image quality as an E-M5 and in body stabilization.
  9. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Hopefully my recently dilemma can help you. I was happy using the PM2 and the small m4/3s lenses. I always planned to supliment it with an EM5 for a few reasons: 1) when I want to use bigger lenses, 2) low-light because 5-axis IBIS is good and the 2-axis on the PM2 is crap, and 3) the EM5 in silver is a work of art.

Since the PM2 was my first largish sensor camera, however, I started to enjoy blurring the background with long, fast adapted lenses and speedboosters. Buying a EM1 would have given me ISO 100 and 1/8000 shutter to use faster apertures in bright light without filters. But, with all this wishing, I decided a FF camera would be the way to go. No IBIS in what I was planning to get but bigger sensor equals a stop of ISO and, much more background blur. So, a Sony A7 was on the horizon.

Then, my PM2 was stolen from my car. Not buying a FF just yet (probably in the spring with tax money), so what do I buy? GM1, PM2, and PL7 were on the list.

GM1 - GM5 never registered on my radar. Nothing that would benefit me over the GM1. The GM1 would have run me say $325 new. Looks cool. I'd probably get the grip for an extra $100. But, I decided that it might be a bit too small for larger lenses. And the problem is that the fastest shutter speed is 1/500 and then you get an electronic shutter. Adapted lenses, fisheye, bodycap lens, etc. also get only electronic shutter. I keep forgetting exactly why you don't want that, but you don't. Still, GM1 is the smallest and it would be nice since I already have the 12-32mm

PL7 - Same awesome retro look as silver/black EM5 or GM1. 3-axis stabilization is nearly as good as 5-axis, I hear. Flippy screen is useful too. And ISO 100. Ultimately, however, I didn't get this because not only is the camera 90 grams heavier and a bit thicker all around, but it's $450.

PM2 - In all honesty I would have pulled the trigger on a PL7 at $350 or a GM1 for $200. I was looking for a couple weeks and all the new PM2s were going for $400. What to do? Well, I found a PM2 for $225. Same exact black color I had. I pulled the trigger.

In all, I don't need the PL7 because the PM2 is smaller and I don't need IBIS when I get a FF camera. A GM1 is still intriguing, but I think it's because I want to play with one. If the price of used drops I'll might buy someday!

Also, if you see a PL5, go for it. It's a PM2 with a flippy screen and better grip. But they're not cheap either, for some reason. Good luck!

Finally, I have the contact names of a few guys on this forum selling used PM2s in good condition. I didn't try to buy from them, however, because I found the new one cheap.
  10. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    I'm not much help but I have been unable to find something with a 4/3 chip or larger at a 200-250 price point, NEW, other than the pm2. I think if you keep your eyes open for the pm2 on ebay (new).
    I did luck out on picking up a clearance (returned) samsung nx300 (ASP-C size chip) with lens at Micro Center for around $250. This was by far the best deal I have gotten.
    Micro Center is getting out of the camera business so you might find some good deals there. If you have one near you.
  11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The GX1 is a worse sensor than the E-PM2 with a much better body.

The grip's better, the controls are better, the menus are better, the body is more robust, and in general it's a much nicer camera to use. Noise-wise it is not far off the E-PM2, but has noticeably worse dynamic range (almost 2 stops worth), particularly noticeable in the highlights. The E-PM2's image stabilization can sometimes be more of a liability than an asset, and isn't in any way comparable to the 3-axis IBIS in the E-M10, to say nothing of the 5-axis in the higher models. It is distinctly worse than the 2-axis in the GX7, as well.

I knew that the E-PM2 was a "better" camera than the older Panasonics going into the store, and was certain I was going to buy the E-PM2 or the Sony NEX-3N. Once I got my hands on them, I hated them both. Ended up buying a GX1 even though it was older and cost more...
  12. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I still have my E-PM2 which I'm going to sell soon. It is a nice camera (sensor) and nice size and works great with my VF-4. On the other hand I get a bit of shutter-shock and would live a quieter (or electronic) shutter. The GM1 would be awesome, especially if there was an external E-VF, but I guess that is what the GM5 is for!

I agree, that the E-PL7 is cool as you get the tilt screen and IBIS but still too pricey.
  13. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    The E-PL5 has the same crappy IBIS as the E-PM2, best to be shut off and not used :)

The E-PL7 has the same useful 3-axis sensor-shift IBIS as the E-M10.
  14. whatsthegoodword

Jan 31, 2015
    Yeah, if I'm going to spend 2-300, I'd want it to be a significant improvement. If the pm2 is a moderate improvement I'd be willing to buy one used and sell the pm1.

The other thing is that the older models you mentioned are expensive. It seems once the camera is old and no longer on clearance pricing, the prices go back up.

Not willing to go full frame or go with anything big. Plus, I've already bought a few m4/3 lenses.
  15. figure five

figure five Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think the E-PL7 is the best small M43 body available at the moment. It's the smallest body with real IBIS and an articulating LCD.
    Plus the build / feel / finish is way ahead of the E-PM2 and preceding EPLs. The control dial makes it handle great like the OM-Ds,
    whereas I found the GM1 control scheme to be too fiddly.

That being said, I got a deal on a new E-PL7 a few weeks ago but am now selling it since I've decided on a Fuji X100 series camera as
    my small / social backup to the E-M1. It's up on the marketplace if you are interested.
  16. tkbslc

The old models are expensive new from retailers, but dirt cheap used or from clearance sellers on ebay. I'm not sure where you are looking.

E-PL5 is like $250 used. It has the same sensor as the E-M5. Big Dynamic range and ISO improvement.
    GX1 is like $175 used. It has way better controls and features than your camera. Decent high ISO improvement, no DR improvement
    E-PL7 is like $400-450. That is basically an E-M10 without the viewfinder. Awesome Image quality, AF, IS and performance.
    GM1 can be found for $400-ish. That's got great image quality and it's so tiny.