1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anything about new m43 weatherproof lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sonsw87, Jun 6, 2012.

1. sonsw87

sonsw87 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    I got my e-m5 with 12-50 lens. It is a good lens but im more of a prime shooter so I was wondering if anyone heard anything about oly/pany making new weatherproof lenses.. I know both of them just came out with the new lenses but I really hope they come out with nice 17mm or 20mm prime with weather sealing..

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Looks like you really new to m4/3 if you search this forum you will notice that Panasonic already announced 12-35 f/2.8 lens with constant aperture and weather sealed, soon will be followed by 35-100 which also weather sealed. Olympus also will launch 60 mm f/2.8 that said also have weather sealed.
    You can also use Olympus 4/3 High Grade and Super High Grade lens along with MMF-3 adapter if you look for weather sealed lens.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The op is looking for primes, I think all the oly 4/3 HG and SHG glass are all zooms...weather sealed primes are definitely lacking. The new panny's are they really weather sealed? From what I've read, they only have a single seal at the mount, nothing saying the whole lens is sealed. It would be great to have actual sealed primes, but even without the sealing issue I'd really like to see an updated 35mm equivalent that is at least an f2.

4. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    The Oly 150 f2 is a amazing weather sealed lens, like the oly 50 macro...

5. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

I think you need to ask yourself if Panasonic would go to the trouble of fitting a gasket on the mount and then let the rest of the lens leak like a sieve. I know what I think is the answer :smile:

Steve

6. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    A canon 24-70 f/2.8L lens is sealed while a 60D is not.

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Panasonic describes it as "Moisture and dust sealed metal body and mount"

I haven't run across anyone who claims to have tested its' seals. Just the usual internet echo chamber.

Fred

8. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    And the 12-35 is sealed while no Panasonic camera is. What does this have to do with the level of seals in the lens?

Fred

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I suspect most people are not inclined to 'test' the seals on such a lens, as such testing may be considered abuse by the manufacturer, and thus not covered by warranty. There's a lot of ambiguous language regarding exactly how sealed the lenses are for precisely this reason (legal wiggle room).

DH

10. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Olympus reps poured bottles of water over the 12-50 and EM5 in demos and users have claimed to do the same. It would be nice to see a Panasonic rep do the same with a 12-35.

Are there even any production 12-35's in anyone's hands yet. I get tired of people claiming something's not up to spec when no one's even used it yet.

That last bit isn't directed at you dhazeghi.

Fred

11. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I know its all just speculation, but the fact that Panasonic is releasing weather-sealed lenses means that a weather-sealed body must forthcoming.

The Canon 60D IS "weather-sealed". Just not as good as the 1D/1Ds. The Canon 7D and 5D Mark II and Mark III are also weathersealed. There are claims that the 60D has just as good seals as the 7D, but no one on POTN(Canon forums) has "tested" this claim.
    Does the 60D have weather seal body? - Canon Digital Photography Forums

If you are really worried about weather, then do what photographers have been doing for many years....plastic ziplock back the body/plastic cover the lense. If you want to spend money, there are plenty of "waterproofing" your camera sized plastic bags on Amazon. I used this to shoot a marathon w/ my 40D and 70-200 F/4 L two years ago in the rain.
    http://www.amazon.com/Rainsleeve-Di...5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339006232&sr=1-5

Based on my "internet research" there doesn't seem to be any plans on a weather-sealed prime.....yet.

:)

12. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Olympus adds 75mm F1.8, 60mm F2.8 Macro and flash to Micro Four Thirds lineup: Digital Photography Review

The 60mm Macro is weather-sealed.

My concern with the Panasonic is that it's called moisture resistant vs. weatherproof. That implies that you can have it out in humid environments safely, but not quite rain on it. We have to look out for demos where they're pouring water over it like in the E-M5 demos.

13. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    LOL Dre tech. I saw the 43 rumors post on the 60mm right after I posted. lol.
    It would be nice to see a weather-sealed 20 f/1.7 though ;)