1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone with Minolta 135 mm 2.8 ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bhupinder2002, May 16, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys
    I just bought this lens from Ebay for USD 29 and wondering if someone has this lens already ? If yes then please share some images .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. rjay

rjay New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    I have this lens but have not yet used it on the OMD. It is very sharp 1 stop down across the 35mm full frame, so even wide open it should be sharp on the m43 format. The 1 stop down will get a bit more contrast out of it.

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have a number of those in my collection but I never use them for real picture taking, then I prefer the MD Zoom 75-150/4. If you want I can put some test pics on Smugmug but that's all you're gonna get from me :smile:.

I have 3 different models of them, the early MD Tele Rokkor as well as the late one and the plain MD model; the latter 2 models share the same optical design. All are very much alike in terms of IQ. Wide-open they're a bit soft and flary at f/2.8 and purple fringing is also visible, but the image still has plenty of detail. At f/4 the image is sharp and contrasty across the frame, no real need to stop down further to improve on IQ. I don't see any CA in the corners.

4. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    There are a load of shots using this lens on my Flickr photostream.

It is a very comfortable size on the camera - though a bit on the heavy side - and getting used to the effective 270mm length is a challenge!

5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I have an earlier version of this lens, an MC Rokkor (serial # 1146290), and as I've commented before it's a bit soft all around on the 4/3 sensor. While it does sharpen up at f/4, this older lens is not multi-coated, so contrast suffers even at "ideal" apertures (even with a lens hood). :frown:

It was my favorite lens on the Minolta film bodies, but after experimenting with it on 4/3 and m-4/3, I find it's not very useful on my Oly or Panny gear. The native lenses I have in that focal range (Oly 50-200 and Panny 45-200) perform much better. And if I'm going to have to focus manually anyway, I'd much prefer to use the 50-200 for its stunning detail and luscious bokeh.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I second this. I went out shooting briefly yesterday for the first time with a 135mm (a cheap Konica-mount Lentar) and found framing with the ~5° AOV to be a challenge. I also found it difficult to combat camera shake, even with IBIS -- I was shooting hand-held and admittedly am not the steadiest shooter.

I think this lens could be great for some things, but it's probably never going to be an everyday (or even every month) lens for me. If I need this kind of reach, I'm much more likely to grab my Oly 40-150mm zoom.

Have fun with your new purchase, Bhupinder!