1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone with Minolta 135 mm 2.8 ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bhupinder2002, May 16, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Hi Guys
    I just bought this lens from Ebay for USD 29 and wondering if someone has this lens already ? If yes then please share some images .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. rjay

rjay New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    I have this lens but have not yet used it on the OMD. It is very sharp 1 stop down across the 35mm full frame, so even wide open it should be sharp on the m43 format. The 1 stop down will get a bit more contrast out of it.

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have a number of those in my collection but I never use them for real picture taking, then I prefer the MD Zoom 75-150/4. If you want I can put some test pics on Smugmug but that's all you're gonna get from me :smile:.

I have 3 different models of them, the early MD Tele Rokkor as well as the late one and the plain MD model; the latter 2 models share the same optical design. All are very much alike in terms of IQ. Wide-open they're a bit soft and flary at f/2.8 and purple fringing is also visible, but the image still has plenty of detail. At f/4 the image is sharp and contrasty across the frame, no real need to stop down further to improve on IQ. I don't see any CA in the corners.

4. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    There are a load of shots using this lens on my Flickr photostream.

It is a very comfortable size on the camera - though a bit on the heavy side - and getting used to the effective 270mm length is a challenge!

5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I have an earlier version of this lens, an MC Rokkor (serial # 1146290), and as I've commented before it's a bit soft all around on the 4/3 sensor. While it does sharpen up at f/4, this older lens is not multi-coated, so contrast suffers even at "ideal" apertures (even with a lens hood). :frown:

It was my favorite lens on the Minolta film bodies, but after experimenting with it on 4/3 and m-4/3, I find it's not very useful on my Oly or Panny gear. The native lenses I have in that focal range (Oly 50-200 and Panny 45-200) perform much better. And if I'm going to have to focus manually anyway, I'd much prefer to use the 50-200 for its stunning detail and luscious bokeh.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I second this. I went out shooting briefly yesterday for the first time with a 135mm (a cheap Konica-mount Lentar) and found framing with the ~5° AOV to be a challenge. I also found it difficult to combat camera shake, even with IBIS -- I was shooting hand-held and admittedly am not the steadiest shooter.

I think this lens could be great for some things, but it's probably never going to be an everyday (or even every month) lens for me. If I need this kind of reach, I'm much more likely to grab my Oly 40-150mm zoom.

Have fun with your new purchase, Bhupinder!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.