1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone with both the new 14-140 f/3.5 and the 100-300?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by stevenmh, Nov 13, 2013.

  1. stevenmh

    stevenmh Mu-43 Rookie

    23
    Jul 30, 2012
    I've noticed that my 14-140 MK2 isn't is sharp as the 100-300 at 100mm. Maybe that's to be expected since the 100-300 is at its widest and the 14-140 is pushing the long end. Anyone here have both lenses and feel like comparing results? I used a tripod, IS off, E-shutter on, and 10-sec timer.

    Also compared it to my 14-45 at 14mm, and couldn't tell any difference in the center. The 14-140 seemed a bit sharper at the edges.
     
  2. meyerweb

    meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

    Sep 5, 2011
    I have both, but I'm not particularly interested in taking photos of test charts, brick walls, or newspapers. Both lenses are capable of making sharp, contrasty images when used for their intended purpose. Both are consumer level zooms, and don't match Canon 'L' glass when viewed at high magnification. The 14-140 is pretty remarkable when you remember it's a 10X zoom.

    I suspect if you took the same shot at 100mm with both lenses, made 16x20 prints, and asked 100 people which was "better" you'd get 90% telling you they can't see any difference and the other 10% evenly split.
     
  3. stevenmh

    stevenmh Mu-43 Rookie

    23
    Jul 30, 2012
    I don't enjoy test shots either, and didn't do it just to do it. I was cropping some photos of my son playing in the yard and thought they looked just a tad soft when cropped. Saw some reviews saying how sharp it is, and just wondering if I should try another copy. This seemed like the best site and subforum for the question, but I'll try elsewhere.
     
  4. Lindsay D

    Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

    240
    Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    My copy of the 100-300 is razor sharp to 200mm, sharp to 240mm, pretty good to 280mm, and slightly soft above that.

    My 14-140 MkII is sharp to 120mm and softens a little after that.

    For what they are, both are great lenses in my opinion. As a general walkabout solution the 14-140 is a cracking little lens, and the 100-300 is a lot of fun to use.
     
  5. stevenmh

    stevenmh Mu-43 Rookie

    23
    Jul 30, 2012
    Thanks for the meaningful reply. Since my original post, I've been able to determine that the glass itself is fine, but that the lens is susceptible to shutter shock on my G5. Had a good conversation regarding this at another forum and found several others whose findings matched my own with the G5 and GH3. Also found a couple internet reviews where shutter shock has been mentioned with this lens. Here is my post with test shots in the other forum if anyone is interested:

    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3576823#forum-post-52539213

    I'm curious what camera you're using with your lens and what shutter speeds you tend to find yourself using?