1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone want M43 teleconverters?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    With Olympus and Panasonic starting to make fast aperture telephoto lenses like the 75 1.8 and 35-100 2.8, do you think we'll start seeing M43 teleconverters? I'd love to get a 1.4 TC for M43 especially with the 75 1.8!

Does anyone else want teleconverters? :wink:

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    sounds interesting to have teleconverters!

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, I would.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

I don't think it's very smart from an engineering standpoint. A 35-100mm f/2.8 with a 2x teleconverter would become a 70-200mm f/5.6, which is slower overall than the 45-200mm, and would also have less range and would most definitely have inferior image quality. Plus, the 4/3 teleconverter costs $480, so that teleconverter would cost more than the 45-200mm, and it would also be much larger with that large 35-100! Even with the 75mm, it's not a long enough lens to effectively use a teleconverter. What, to get a 105mm f/2.5? At that point, you'd get the same results using the 35-100mm f/2.8! Maybe if we start seeing m4/3 versions of a 200mm and 300mm lens, it would make sense.

Edit: corrected EC-20 price from $550 to $480

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I would love to have m4/3 teleconverters, but first, they would need to come up with fast primes in the longer telephoto range, and faster zooms... (er... I guess shnitz said it all already...)

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I use my Olympus EC-14 teleconverter all the time, and I love it. I would like to see one in native m4/3 mount. Right now I can only use it on SLR lenses which I've adapted first to Four-Thirds before Micro Four-Thirds... and of course for my Four-Thirds lenses.

I personally prefer the 1.4x over the 2x converters. Better quality image, less light loss, and compact size.

I no longer carry my 200mm/4 with me because I can use my EC-14 with my 135mm/2.8 and it also works as a 200mm/4... and the combination even takes up the same space. Plus it turns my 50mm/1.4 into a 70mm/2. See, I don't even need to purchase the new m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8 lens, lol. :biggrin:

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Noticed I didn't mention 2x TCs! :wink: :biggrin: I think it'd be more practical to have 1.4 or 1.7 TCs. 2x TCs are almost always garbage from my experience. The 75mm 1.8 with a 1.4 or 1.7 TC would still be relatively fast for daytime shooting. I think a high quality TC would be awesome considering how sharp M43 glass is wide-open which would probably still be sharp with a TC.

8. Teleconvertors are really just cheap(er) way of obtaining multiple focal lengths from one lens i.e. a 200mm + 1.4x TC instead of having a 200mm and a 300mm lens. This will either save your money in buying the extra lenses or save your back in carrying the extra lenses...not that there's anything wrong with that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.