1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone want a VF-4?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JJJPhoto, Nov 5, 2011.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I currently use the VF-2 from time to time but it's a little low resolution for my taste and it doesn't have a locking tab to hold it in place on the camera. The VF-3 fixes the lock/release tab issue but it has a lower resolution rather than a higher resolution.

Am I the only one who is interested in a super high-resolution version of the VF-3?

2. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

No, you're not. As long as the price is reasonable, I'd buy one. I have the VF-3 and while it's usable, I'm not impressed, being used to the viewfinder of a 5DII.

3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    id rather have a vf1 style vf with brightlines that change to frame for all current lenses :)

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm perfectly happy with my VF-2. It's the best out there right now, so why speculate on something better when nobody else even has one? The only one which MIGHT be better is the Sony NEX7 with 24 million dot OLED EVF, but until we can physically try one, its quality is only speculative. I know I wasn't that impressed with the E-P3's higher res 640k OLED screen compared with my 460k LED. I don't like the color rendition of the OLED. Just because it sounds better doesn't maen it is.

5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I work with a photographer who is reviewing the NEX-7 for another website and got to use the NEX-7 for three days. The viewfinder resolution of the OLED EVF in the NEX-7 is visibly better than the VF-2 but the lens on the back of the viewfinder (the optical element you look through to see the EVF) is only good looking straight into the viewfinder. If your eye comes up to the viewfinder just a little off center (up, down, left or right) the EVF looks distorted as if looking at a fun house mirror.

As long as your eye is perfectly centered to the viewfinder the NEX-7 EVF is better but the VF-2 doesn't have the weird distortion when your eye is off center.

I would like it if Olympus can deliver the better EVF without the distortion in the rear viewfinder element/lens.

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I tried the NEX-7 and discovered that it's viewfinder is indeed more detailed than that of the GH2. But the GH2's EVF is brighter and it doesn't show shadow areas as a sea of black. I think overall NEX-7's EVF is slightly better, but they're both very good.