Anyone using Viltrox ef-m2 with ef-s lenses?

kahren

Mu-43 Veteran
Anyone here using ef-m2 with ef-s lenses? It seems that when mounting ef-s lenses the aperture doesn't change, in other words the adapter actually stops down the physical aperture in the lens one stop, weird? yes, but that is what is happening. This is with a 10-18 stm btw. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this, that has used any other ef-s lenses? This should be an easy firmware fix...

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What is this about? Either you're referring to Canon gear or something I can't decipher.

He's using EF-S lenses on a focal reducer-adapter that allows for AE/AF.

Anyone here using ef-m2 with ef-s lenses? It seems that when mounting ef-s lenses the aperture doesn't change, in other words the adapter actually stops down the physical aperture in the lens one stop, weird? yes, but that is what is happening. This is with a 10-18 stm btw. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this, that has used any other ef-s lenses? This should be an easy firmware fix...

I don't have a Viltrox, I use Metabones for my focal reducer. I do use EF-S lenses and I assume you've been removing/trimming the baffles in the back to mount it on a focal reducer to allow for the lenses to mount?

Try contacting Viltrox, they do work on the firmware.

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have found the exact same problem with the exact same lens.
I have written an email to Viltrox that included some macro shots showing the problem. I suggest you also write them an email as this problem is still not fixed in the latest firmware: info@jyc-hk.com

When they see that lots of people care about this use case, they will change something! A previous update has already brought (previously non-working) AF to this lens + adapter combo! :D

kahren

Mu-43 Veteran
I have found the exact same problem with the exact same lens.
I have written an email to Viltrox that included some macro shots showing the problem. I suggest you also write them an email as this problem is still not fixed in the latest firmware: info@jyc-hk.com

When they see that lots of people care about this use case, they will change something! A previous update has already brought (previously non-working) AF to this lens + adapter combo! :D

I actually did write them about this a few weeks ago, asking to make this lens compatible as there are others who want to use this lens as well. :)

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I can confirm that firmware v3.2 fixes the aperture problem with the Canon 10-18mm STM!

This lens is now fully useable!
Some minor nitpicks remain: AF is only about 75% reliable, requires hardware modification before becoming usable, vignettes at the wide end.
I am going to make a thread about this combo soon, and comparing it to the Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-f/4.0!

From my initial tests the Canon 10-18mm is SHARP wide open (f/3.2) at around 8mm.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
I wonder if the Viltrox would work with APS-C third-party EF lenses. Those do not have the EF-S protruding rear element and rubber baffle, so they adapt just like a FF lens. I guess maybe vignetting could be a problem due to pushing the crop factor too far with the focal reducer.

For example, the Tokina 12-28mm f4 (<$200 used) would become an 8.5-20mm f2.8 with the focal reducer. It weighs about the same as a 7-14mm PRO, so not too bad.

Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 becomes 7-14mm f2.5
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 becomes 8-12 f2.0
Tamron 10-24 becomes 7-17mm 2.5-3.2

ed9e

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Eduard
What about Sigma 8-16mm 4.5-5.6, does it work with EF-M2 adapter?

Sigma EF-S 8-16/4.5-5.6 does work with EF-M2. It produces 5.6mm focal length (11mm equiv.) which is so wide the lens hood top and bottom petals become visible in the frame :)) Shooting photo in 3:2 aspect ratio solves this problem. There is no problem with hood petals for video.

AF is quick (1/3 sec) and accurate with my E-P5. AF is slower (1/2 - 1 sec) and accurate with E-M1. AF is not working on E-M10.3 in the range from 8 to 10mm on lens scale (6 to 7 mm as reported by camera), but is operating (quick and reliable) from 11mm to 18mm.

The lens is very sharp and there is nothing as wide in m43 system as this lens on a speedbooster. The lens is big and heavy, comparable to mZD 7-14/2.8. I do recommend this lens. Make sure to test it for front/back focusing issues before purchasing, though. Some other EF/EF-S lenses I tested had front/back focus issues; only E-M1 (E-M1.2) have microadjustment settings for lenses, so testing for front/backfocus issues is critical for any other m43 bodies.

Here is an example photo I took with the lens. E-M1 + EF-M2 + Sigma 8-16 @ 6mm (widest), f3.2, 1/10 sec, ISO 1600, processed from RAW, cropped a little to remove hood petals and to make it square for Instagram:
image1.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Ankit Jain

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ankit Jain
Sigma EF-S 8-16/4.5-5.6 does work with EF-M2. It produces 5.6mm focal length (11mm equiv.) which is so wide the lens hood top and bottom petals become visible in the frame :)) Shooting photo in 3:2 aspect ratio solves this problem. There is no problem with hood petals for video.

AF is quick (1/3 sec) and accurate with my E-P5. AF is slower (1/2 - 1 sec) and accurate with E-M1. AF is not working on E-M10.3 in the range from 8 to 10mm on lens scale (6 to 7 mm as reported by camera), but is operating (quick and reliable) from 11mm to 18mm.

The lens is very sharp and there is nothing as wide in m43 system as this lens on a speedbooster. The lens is big and heavy, comparable to mZD 7-14/2.8. I do recommend this lens. Make sure to test it for front/back focusing issues before purchasing, though. Some other EF/EF-S lenses I tested had front/back focus issues; only E-M1 (E-M1.2) have microadjustment settings for lenses, so testing for front/backfocus issues is critical for any other m43 bodies.

Here is an example photo I took with the lens. E-M1 + EF-M2 + Sigma 8-16 @ 6mm (widest), f3.2, 1/10 sec, ISO 1600, processed from RAW, cropped a little to remove hood petals and to make it square for Instagram:
View attachment 718738

HI,

is your 8-16mm lens having infinity focus issue? Is it going all the way upto 8mm without hitting adapter lens?
Have you made any modification to the lens like removing the extension of the lens?

Thanks!

Latest threads

Top Bottom