1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone using the WCON-P01 or MCON-P01?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gnb40, Apr 1, 2013.

1. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    If you use one of these, I could use your help. I just got the WCON-P01 and put it on my 14-42 lens. When you take the trim ring off of the lens, it clicks in place. When I put the WCON-PO1 in it doesn't click. It's not a tight fit so I'm afraid it might come off. Does your click into place or is it smooth going on the whole way?

I called Olympus tech support and the lady was thinking it should click into place and I might want to exchange it. After about 5 minutes of research, she said it shouldn't click and it was OK. The instruction sheet doesn't really say much so I think she read it and since it didn't say it should click, she thinks it's OK.

Thanks for you help,
    Gary

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have the WCON-P01 and 14-42II R. There's a tiny bit of play, but I sure thought it clicked into place. Will check and post back.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Just tested it, and the converter does indeed click into place on my lens.

4. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    Thanks for checking for me. I just wanted to make sure before returning it.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Y'welcome. I hope your replacement copy clicks into place as it should. Too bad the Oly rep wasn't able to give you better info.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

6. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I just received one and it's not clicking in place. I will take some test shots tomorrow and decide whether to exchange for another one, or get a refund. :frown:

7. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I know that this is an old thread, but since I have had some success on this very topic, I figured I'd tell folks about it, because it is sure to come again.

I just bought an E-M10 with a 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R lens and then a WCON-P01, and went thru the same thing - the WCON wouldn't click into place. Well, it turns out (literally) that the WCON-P01 does in fact snap into place on the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R lens. You just have to turn it hard, at least at first.

I was afraid to force it, but after doing some Internet searching (including finding the DPReview link above), I found others saying this very thing - TWIST IT! I extended the barrel of the lens as far out as it would go, held it firmly with one hand, and twisted the WCON-P01 harder - indeed, it snapped into place. It twists off more easily, and it seems to be loosening some to snap it on. So, do it and don't be afraid!

I suppose that some WCONs may be defective and may be fixable using the filing technique mentioned in that DPReview thread, but in my case it wasn't necessary (and also, you're awfully close to the back lens, and where are those filings going to go?). Anyway, hope this helps.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Want to add something else, now that I've been using the WCON-P01 longer. It really hasn't loosened all that much. So, every time I mount it, I do as I said earlier - I extend the barrel of the lens as far as it will go, hold it firmly with one hand, and then twist the WCON-P01 onto the end with the other hand. You get the hang of it pretty quickly and it is easy to do. I usually do the same thing when I remove it, although it does come off more easily without bothering to hold the lens barrel.

One other thing - I REALLY like having the WCON-P01. It gives you an immediate wide option and is great to carry when traveling. I have seen some reviews saying that it doesn't make the lens all that much wider. This is not true at all, IMHO. There is a BIG difference between 14mm and 11mm. Even one mm at these wide focal lengths can make a big difference. It is even more apparent when given in 35mm equivalent terms - 28 vs 22 (Olympus says it is 20.8mm actually).

I find that the image quality doesn't suffer much at all. Perfect!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would like to see a side by side with the 12-32 to see how it compares and how much wider it gets. That would be interesting.

10. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I'd do it if I had a 12-32, or any other lens starting at 12. Unfortunately, I don't. I could try it vs my 4/3 9-18 set at 12, just to show the difference in width. Will give it a try ASAP...

• Like Like x 1
  11. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Here is a very rough-and-ready comparison with my E-M10. I didn't get the centre of the image exactly aligned between the two shots so don't read too much into it, but I think it gives a general idea. Both are jpegs straight from the camera, resized to 1200 pixels with no other post processing i.e. no attempt to disguise the washed-out look from the harsh midday sun! I think the fairest comparison is across the middle horizontal band - you can see the the WCON includes a whole extra ochre-coloured house on the right, while also including more of the block of flats on the left.

The 14-42 II at 14mm with WCON-P01 attached:
    P7191081_small.

The 12-32 fully zoomed out:
    P7191080_small.

I think the availability of the 12-32 somewhat reduces the appeal of the WCON, I probably would not have bought it if the 12-32 had been available at the time. Nothing against the image quality of the WCON, it is just that having 12mm available within the zoom range for me beats having 11mm-ish available by attaching the converter. I also found the combined camera+lens+WCON a slightly awkward shape to walk around with or to keep in a camera bag, which meant I found myself detaching and reattaching it frequently. The 12-32 is smaller in all dimensions than the WCON alone. But I guess the WCON still has its place for someone with no intention of buying the 12-32. I certainly agree that the difference compared to 14mm is significant.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Thanks for that comparison, Alan. You saved me some effort and your results are more to the point than me simulating it with a 9-18. I agree with everything you said too. The WCON is a pain to bother with, as opposed to just having the lens do it, of course.

The results are interesting. For one thing, it does show that even a lousy 1mm at this width can make a difference - I mean, the WCON really is wider. Very useful!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    • Like Like x 1