anyone using the tamron 180mm macro on m43?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by piggsy, Oct 16, 2015.

1. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Anyone using one of these? Just some questions from some preliminary googling -

The canon/alpha mount versions seem to have no aperture ring? Guessing these are purely electronic for aperture control and would need a compatible metabones/whatever style electronic adapter?

Apparently the nikon version is one of those lenses for that mount that has no internal motor and is driven from the camera body, and the nikon version seems to have a manual aperture ring on it too. Anyone successfully used this as a pure manual lens on an m43 body?

2. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Update: nikon version works and it's pretty damn good as far as I can tell. A few other first impressions:

Damn that's a big lens hood. 10cm x 10cm :O

Feels a lot lighter than the stated weight - think it's perhaps just balanced a little better than most of my other mf lenses (and IF / plastic build means it's not lugging a large chunk of it forward when you focus closer).

Early tests... quite pleased with this both as a macro and a longish tele lens, though like the Tokina/Vivitar S1 90s, the focus ring moves you very quickly through the range as you approach infinity (feels like: less than 10 degrees travel between about 3m and infinity). Sharp enough for what's in focus to very clearly pop though - was using it for some figbirds earlier and had no problem finding them through fairly dense foliage, though 180mm was a bit ambitious for the distance. Only took some flower macro shots, all of which worked out pretty nice, but I'm too used to working with a flash to really go hunting bugs with it without one. Hopefully my pokey Kamerar friction arms arrive tomorrow and I can assemble the flash voltron around it :D

Lens ends up being something like 116mm or so at 1:1. That's one of the main reasons I picked this vs the sigma 150 - at least according to the breathing calculation I found, IF on the sigma brings you to just around 95mm or so at 1:1, and if you already have two of the best 90mm macros ever (although strictly speaking apparently the bokina is a less sexy sounding 87mm :D) it's kind of hard to justify. 47cm MFD from sensor for 1:1, gives you about 25cm working distance from the end of the lens itself, and if you are crazy and use it for macro with the world's most obscenely large lens hood, about 15cm :D

Only real annoyance is to do with the aperture - well, one thing I don't really care about, and two that are just annoyances. There seemed to be some disagreement on the net as to what happens to this lens at 1:1 - seen a few conversations where people were complaining about the lens stopping down at 1:1, and people telling them they were stupid and that this was just their camera metering adjusting for macro equivalent aperture. It isn't that - the physical aperture of the lens closes down at 1:1 in a way you can easily see through the front of the lens. So ... your dreams of horrible performance shooting at sub-mm DOF at f3.5/1:1 are not happening with this lens. Don't really care, can't think of the last time I went below about F8 :p

Other more significant annoyances are that the aperture stops are fairly sparse and fullish - 3.5, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22, 32, that's it. And due to some weird thing about how AEL works on Nikon, if you stick the lens at F32, the aperture ring will stop there and refuse to turn back until you hit a little button next to the ring to unlock the aperture again, which is annoying to do with one hand. Although, the lack of stops makes it easy to count where you're at on the ring and avoid turning it too far :D

So, pretty much a thumbs up early on, especially considering that I picked it up for well under 1/2 new cost for a flawless copy (in original box, with all original bits in their original bags, plus a bonus 72mm protection filter thrown in unmentioned, turned up 3 days early, you know, typical japanese seller stuff :D). Some pics to follow - actually arrived yesterday but it suddenly came over really hot here and I had to do a whole crapload of work on the yard before seedlings melted which has prevented me from using it for more than a few shots.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Some samples, aperture as best I remember, all with pretty ordinary post processing (nothing you couldn't do in camera) from olympus viewer 3.

1/500 iso200 f3.5
    pb030060tth59joo.

1/160 iso200 F16
    pb040077tthvsk3c.

1/160 iso1600 f3.5
    pb040150tthb1jia.

1/160 iso1600 f3.5 (never had one come up to me this close before - usually very skittish)
    [​IMG]

1/160 iso200 f8
    pb040291tth7gjnh.

1/160 iso200 F16
    pb040296thxkkfc.

1/640 iso200 f5.6
    pb040519thj6ks8.

Some notes -
    Wow what a fantastic walkaround combination macro/birding lens. I don't really do birds - this is like the 4th or 5th time I've tried - but wow it's nice for the reach and much better behaved at F3.5 than my old E.Zuiko 200/4 is at /4. Bit of CA if you go looking for it at 3.5 but it's very very mild, only happens on extreme edges in full sun and very narrow.

Flash behaviour is very good - at least if you are stopped down enough doing macro to need a flash, you have absolutely no worries about OOF highlights on water droplets looking weird or purple spots on reflections.

It isn't very good at F22 - not that I would usually expect this from any lens, but it's no bokina at F22. F11 is great and F16 is easily within rescue of any problems. But that's about as far as you want to take it.

Had some problems with my flash setup (how do you begin to hate olympus IR wireless? try and get two flashes on one bracket to both face the commander and also point somewhere useful) which prevented me from doing much more - ended up wiping the flashes through a large spiderweb, collecting the spider between them, put the camera up to my face and took about 10 seconds to fall down - like this pretty much -

[​IMG]

as I ran through this increasingly futile "get the spider! wait, don't drop the camera, oh crap now I'm slipping over on the grass" loop and took out the diffusers :(

• Like Like x 2
  4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Last week's nightmare fuel - the 180 has a beefy tripod foot on it and I typically have my flash bracket and P&C pistol grip attached to it. Went out with the lens - shot normally. Got home, went to unplug the camera from the various bits. Swung the kit over my bed to take it apart - lens collar on the tripod foot flips open by itself and spills the camera and lens out. Screw for the collar had totally stripped and slides smoothly in and out. Incredibly lucky this didn't happen when it was over concrete.

Nobody had a listing to sell the foot for this lens separately, but after emailing a few places Cambuy put me in touch with TNS Connect (who do Tamron in au) and they got word back from Tamron Japan that the foot is identical to the old style Tamron 70-200 zoom and got one of those. Fits fine and locks properly. Still. $$$$ hanging by literally nothing for god knows how long :O

• Wow Wow x 2
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Sound alarming!
    Would it not have been possible to fit a larger screw to the original foot?
    It's not difficult to drill/thread Aluminum which is what these are usually made from...

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've had success using helicoils in the past, I generally prefer the solid time-sert style ones rather than the wire ones as they're stronger however they do need a larger hole size...

Probably easier to just rethread it in 5/8th and use a common adapter (since 5/8th to 1/4 is a common).

7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

In this case given the amount of stuff hanging from that single screw I decided it was probably worth spending $30 to replace it rather than do a home repair of an already second hand part.

8. Petrochemist

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    My thinking exactly but I think its 3/8-16 for the common size used in larger tripods etc.

9. Petrochemist

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Understandable, I guess. It could be expensive having it crash to the floor.