Anyone using the Rokinon 85mm with OM-D?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by uci2ci, Sep 22, 2012.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi, I'm eyeing this lens right now. I've yet to hear from OM-D users regarding this lens. Can someone tell me how it handles on the OM-D without the grip...specifically, how comfortable is wide open manual focusing with the aid of 5-axis IBIS, and what percent of your wide open shots come out relatively sharp?

Any shots of it attached to the OM-D would be appreciated.
  2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll answer my own question :biggrin:

The lens arrived today. Haven't had too much time to spend with it. It handles quiet well on the OM-D, even without the grip, since your going to be holding the barrel anyhow given that its a manual lens. Focusing is simplified with IBIS Enabled Half Press, and LV Close Up Mode 2. It not much harder to focus than my FD 50 1.4. The focus ring is rather stiff, but I think it works well with this lens, since I hold it from the barrel and the slightest turn of the ring can through things out of focus.

One issue was that there was some play in the lens between the attachment to the MMF-3 adapter. Since the focus ring is heavily damped, there was a very slight rotating to the lens when focusing, nothing major, but was easily fixed with a small piece of heat shrink plastic tubing between the lens and mount. Since I don't have any other Four-thirds lenses, Im not sure if its the lens that is to blame or the mount....or it might just be normal behavior.

Here are some wide open shots from around the house (sorry, its the usual suspects: my cat, my hamster and a flower :redface: ). The bokeh is beautiful and its sharp if focused right

Here is a 100% crop from the previous photo
    • Like Like x 5
  3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Very nice set of pictures!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I've been eyeing that lens, bout how much did it fetch you?
  5. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    230, used, on ebay. Seen it for less on the buy/sell forums here
  6. aussieg

aussieg Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    Has anyone tried the Minolta Rokkor 85. It appaers to have good reviews as an older lens
  7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    I used the 35mm Samyang/Rokinon/Bower f1.4 before but not the 85mm. Nice lens, and thanks for the photos. I have a Konica Hexanon (AR) 85mm f1.8 that I think is pretty good. Only thing holding me back from burning some real cash on the Olympus 75mm f1.8.
  8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Would love to see some of your pictures with the konica 85mm... its a scandal that the image thread on the lens is still on its first page :biggrin: