Anyone using the Oly XZ-1?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Jun 15, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Thinking about buying a used one for snaps. Just wondering about real world results away from the reviewers.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I have one - I like it :smile: BUT....
    Lot's (IMHO) of NR smearing at 400 and above in JPEG - best to shoot in RAW (IMHO)..

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Totally agree. Unless you shoot RAW, NR is too strong on the camera. I got it because of the large aperture even when fully zoomed. The lens quality is good also, but the NR smearing makes SOOC JPEG quality rather poor unless under good lighting conditions (which sort of defeat the purpose of the fast zoom). If you want to use it as a simple P&S, I think my old Canon S90 worked better than the XZ-1.

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Ditto here. Nice camera; raw preferable..

5. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Very fun to shoot with. I take it almost everywhere and still love the feel of the manual control I get when shooting photos.

Definitely shoot raw, but if you are just posting web versions, I find the JPEGs are suitable (no 100% crops though).

6. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I have one that lives in my pocket in the winter for shooting etc ... I love it as it takes great shots on iauto and has enough buttons to while away a few dull moments and fool people into thinking I know what I am doing.

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It's a fun camera..feels very well built. Pocketable (and I say that as someone who snickers at people who describe m43 cameras like that). It's my camera of choice for going out to casual social events and other places where a discrete camera is preferred.

IQ is decent and a pretty good range on the lens. It would be nice if it got wider, but depends on what you shoot. I'm thinking it will be the backup to a single m43 body on my next vacation.

My wife loves using it for random things like taking pictures of baking etc instead of our m43 cameras.

The only thing I would say is that there are rumors of a successor in the next few months, so if you need the latest and greatest, might want to sit on the sidelines for a few weeks at least.

8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    That is a good point...

9. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    On that note, if you can wait it out a bit, you might get an XZ-1 at a great price around the time the XZ-2 starts shipping.

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah I think there will be good deals to be had. Let's be honest, how much better will a 2nd gen model be. There is only so much you can do with that sized sensor and the lens is already all you can ask for. I wouldn't expect much from v2.0 except remove some quirks, maybe see them cut corners to lower production costs, and add in a few gimmicks with some IQ tweaks. T'is the nature of the incremental technology upgrades in cameras.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I can't speak to the XZ-1 as I don't have one. You might also consider the LX5.

I chose the LX5 because I prefer the wider 12-90mm equivalent FOV (I shoot the camera at 12mm and f/2.0 a great deal of the time) and I can't speak highly enough about the LX5.... it performs exceptionally well at the tasks for which it is intended.

12. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    If the rumours are correct, the XZ-2 will have a differently sized sensor. If that's the case, it could be a dramatic change over the XZ-1.

13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I had the D-LUX 5 and really enjoyed it, but really like the Oly jpgs and menus. And for $300, it is half the price of the D-LUX. Never cared for the Pannys.

14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    It's been rumored that the XZ-2 will have a 1 inch sensor like the new Sony, RX100. I don't think the size will be much different from the XZ-1, if Sony managed to fit the sensor in a smaller camera.