Anyone using the "ignore" setting more now ?

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
an ever increasing number of people like to spew BS misinformation online to support their agenda (whatever it happens to be).
Hardly different from trolls, and their leavings have the same smell :rolleyes:

The problem is that they argue just as doggedly as trolls do and the subsequent back and forth doesn't end up well. I only want to have decent and respectful web conversations anymore, and my strategy when people get their hackles up is to tell them why I disagree once and then bow out of the conversation in the same post. They can rebut me all they want at that point.

Online "manners" are at an all time low, I think.

Andrewmap

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Martin
Twice: the first one was in error - I had only just joined the forum and obviously ticked the wrong box so I quickly changed the setting, and one a few months ago: the person in question just left a sad emoticon on a post: couldn't be bothered to leave a comment, so obviously thought he was in the right; so know I miss out on his wit and wisdom!

Life is too short to keep a thread going with rebuttals to some folk.

Real Name
Steve
The only heated discussions on here are mostly technical related, as my technical and scientific knowledge is very limited, I wouldn't be in on the discussion anyway. I have to admit I do like to view with those heated discussions with a large bag of popcorn.

There are never non-photography discussions here, I'm not interested in peoples personal lives, unless it's something physical that inhibits their photography. If I was to fall out I would just walk away completely, it's what I always do.

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Didn't know there was one, but then again I would never need it or use it anyway. Even on DPR I know it's there, but no one I don't like enough to use it on.

Mind you, there are probably some that have me on it :) :)

Most disputes are generally mistaken for what they are not meant to be or as I see it, all are just an opinion anyway. We are all photographers at the end of the day, well I hope so.

Danny.

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Twice: the first one was in error - I had only just joined the forum and obviously ticked the wrong box so I quickly changed the setting, and one a few months ago: the person in question just left a sad emoticon on a post: couldn't be bothered to leave a comment, so obviously thought he was in the right; so know I miss out on his wit and wisdom!

Life is too short to keep a thread going with rebuttals to some folk.
Not sure the sad emo is all that usefull. you could be saying the poster is sad or the image of some disaster or similar is sad (that's where i have used it in the past), one is a rebuke of sort the other a possible compliment on the depiction of a scene

Andrewmap

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Martin
Not sure the sad emo is all that usefull. you could be saying the poster is sad or the image of some disaster or similar is sad (that's where i have used it in the past), one is a rebuke of sort the other a possible compliment on the depiction of a scene
I completely agree. I think this has become more prevalent due to FBook: why type a coherent sentence when an emoticon covers what you think! the problem is you don't know what they are trying to convey and if you aren't in a receptive frame of mind, you may think it is a criticism/slap down rather than anything else.

Real Name
Richard
I completely agree. I think this has become more prevalent due to FBook: why type a coherent sentence when an emoticon covers what you think! the problem is you don't know what they are trying to convey and if you aren't in a receptive frame of mind, you may think it is a criticism/slap down rather than anything else.
Seconded. I don't think it would be missed if it went. I agree it has an ambiguous purpose. If it were ever to go, I can't think of a reason to replace it with anything. If you haven't got anything nice to say, best to stay away from the keyboard altogether rather than dishing out sad emoticons.

Maybe someone could conduct a poll?

fader

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I very rarely use the ignore button on forums. Twitter and Instagram, yes - there's just too many people and when you run past your own personal threshold for some criteria it's better to block someone than give up on the tool entirely.

Most of my career has been spent managing teams of software engineers. When you get a group of bright, somewhat socially challenged people in a room, intellectual fireworks are par for the course and over the years I've learned to differentiate passion, abuse, posturing, and goading. The passionate can curse, throw small objects around and yell at the roof of their lungs for all I care - such displays / meltdowns don't really bother me. I do not have a lot of patience for the other three.

Tens of millions of dollars have been spent trying to perfect the ultimate online discussion forums and moderation tools. Mozilla had a big effort not too long ago targeted at the comment sections of news sites. It wasn't successful and I think a lot of news sites have chosen to just disable comments altogether. Forums like reddit have trolling built in as a feature. It's truly the worst place on the Internet I think. The strength of a community on topic forums like this one all comes down to a lot of thankless and unpaid work on behalf of the moderators. In this regard Mu-43 has done a great job.

I do think that the troll label is often overused; communities have learned to identify and inoculate themselves from the real trolls pretty quickly. When an individual begins goading others this is indeed a negative behavior but it's not quite yet trolling. Either they want to make a point, or they're being Socratic to give someone enough rope to technically hang themselves without arguing with them directly. Goading repeatedly for entertainment is a descent into trolling.

Two abusive personalities I watch out for are Combative and Defensive. In both cases the individual is emotionally very sensitive, but they have a different abusive response to that sensitivity. Neither is really tolerable. I worked with an engineer that was so combative that other team members would tell him before speaking that he had 5 minutes to speak and then he was going to listen or everyone else would just leave :D Publicly ignoring the combative is effective, no block list required. It's the overly defensive types that bother me the most. They can't express an opinion, even when they're overwhelmingly correct, without raining cues that they feel offended by this or that. When expressing emotional wounds is more important than frank discussion I find that as irksome, if not more so, than trolling. Attempting to guilt trip everyone into a state of hyper-sensitivity is it's own brand of abuse.

Like Santa says - when it turns personal or descends into ad hominem attacks that's a problem that nobody wants or should have to put up with. In public affairs, kindness is our primary currency and there's really no reason to go into debt with a group of strangers.

:drinks:

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well i have received 34 and given 3. no idea if i have upset 34 members but cant think i have, i know the 3 i gave where for an image situation or message not because i disapprove of the post

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It is funny that this subject has come up now when these forums seem to be relatively quiet. I would have thought this would be a much more relevant during the "announcements" of various products that always get people worked up like the E-M1x and especially back when Nikon announced their new mirror-less full frame models, boy were these forums hopping. I imagine there was a rash of ignored going on during those times.

Real Name
Loren
Like others have said, it’s rare to have to even consider it on this forum. There’ve been some people that I often disagreed with, and in a few cases people that I felt were passing bad information. Debating with some of these could be tedious and pointless and never seemed to change anyone’s minds. Nevertheless, I was reluctant to ignore them because that kind of persistent naysaying can be infectious, and I’d hate for someone new to the forum and/or m4/3 to see only uncontested negative opinions and/or misinformation and become discouraged.

I have used the Ignore function twice, both times because their egos made it clear there was simply no talking to them, and their only form of post was personal attacks. I think I never even engaged one of them. I don’t think either one stuck around for long.

Real Name
Mel
I don't know how to use it and thus far, I have not needed it in this forum. I just scroll past on most but have urged sanity to others with some success. I did not decide to participate in this forum for the ability to beat down others. Sometimes, the offending posts are not done in an attempt to hurt others but this thing called the internet does not always show intent. I try to give the benefit of the doubt but have noticed that some will never, ever admit that they do not know it all.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I can never remember to use the ratings. This is only the second forum I've joined that use them, both are photo forums. I don't use the book of face or any other social media so it's not second nature to me. Sometimes someone will post a like or agree to an old post and I realize I'm weeks behind in that thread.

As for the ignore button, someone please tell me if they can see this...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom