1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone using the EE-1 Sight ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TJC-MFT, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    I just discovered the EE -1 red dot sight for super telephotos. Wonder how it is working out for those who have one.

2. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    I've had one for some time but haven't used it much. Now that I have my 300 f/4, I plan to get it back out.

3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    MirrorLessons had one as part of their review of 300 Pro. As I recall it definitely helped with birding. I know of a local pro who uses a dot site on his Nikon when shoots BIF.

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
  6. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    This should be re-titled... 'How to Use the EE-1 and other Red Dot Sights', my DIY one is exactly the same.

There is nothing magic about the EE-1, other than an inflated price. Well that's Oly all over.

7. Tifoso

Tifoso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    Germany
    Giuseppe
    I bought mine a few days ago, but had not much time to test it yet

8. myhl

myhl Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    I would like to do as you did.
    A few questions:
    What sight are you using?
    What challenges did you face?
    How did you overcome the challenges?
    How much did your setup cost?
    Many thanks

9. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The biggest challenge was the method of attachment to the camera via the hot shoe.
    I finally used a hot shoe clamp, stolen and modified, from an old flash gun, attached to a 'v' shaped aluminium bar.
    The dot-sight was then clamped to this bar.

Dot Sights, EE-1 or DIY....My conclusions. - Olympus UK E-System User Group
    These were my initial conclusions, but I have since discovered that the sight is not such a
    such a pain-in-the-**** to use with practice.
    Will I use it.......I'm doubtful, hand-held being such a pain-in-the-****, hit-and-hope method.

CVLIFE 11mm Tactical 1x22x33 Air Rifle Multi Reticle 4 Red & Green Dot Laser Sight Scope: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    An alternative is to use your right eye looking the viewfinder and keep both eyes open. When you adjust, the left eye keeps a wide view available and your right eye can help you keep your subject in the viewfinder under your focusing targets. In effect that is all the red dot sites are doing, teaching your eyes to adjust. The other part of the equation is eye hand coordination which will come.

And what I recently learned with a 2x tele-convertor and the 50-200mm lens at 200mm - is if you don't often use this method that it may take a short duration to get back in the swing of things.

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would think it is doing more than that, with the Red Dot marker adjustment that would allow accurate positioning, for following of a subject at the long telephoto lengths. For example, if you're using the E-M1 with C-AF Hi sequential setting, then the display between frames is showing the 'review' image & not the 'preview' image & therefore the display will always be behind a moving target, so the Red-Dot system overcomes that issue, or so it should, allowing for more reliable on target focussing & 'keeper' frames.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
  13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    In the Setup menu, set Rec View to “Off” - no review imagery shown so there is only the microsecond delay of the preview.

• Like Like x 1