1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone using the 12-40 on an EP5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Mar 7, 2014.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Does it seem "too big" for the camera? How about the weight balance, is it good? I was going to be all primes, but the more images I see from that lens the more I think it is going to be my primary lens on the EP5.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Some will say it works, some that it doesn't.

Personally, I have the 12-35 (which is smaller than the 12-40) and I think it's too big for the E-P5.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ort5

ort5 New to Mu-43

Mar 13, 2013
    I have the 12-40 on my E-M10 and I think it's really too big. The balance is way off and it's just plain uncomfortable to hold. Perhaps a grip would help, but I have decided it's not going to work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I have to agree. I have the EP5 and the E-M1. It's just not balanced. It's great with the E-M1. but perfect with a Gripped EM1

• Like Like x 1
  5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Thank you all, back to the drawing board for my lens kit.

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It works ok if you support the rig by holding the lens, palm up, with your left hand as the main support.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    the lens defeats the purpose of small and light m43 for walkaround. Except for 2.8, I doubt the difference is that noticeable in real world use vs sharp zooms like P14-45 or 12-32..

IMO, for standard zoom range, f2.8 is not optimal for m43. It's not sufficient for low light nor for DOF control. f2.8 zoom makes more sense on FF or 1.5 crop.

• Like Like x 2
  8. condo39

condo39 Mu-43 Regular

I also have the P5 and am considering the the Oly zoom. The Olympus 75mm is my current favorite, and I have rented the Panasonic 35-100mm. I thought both felt good on the camera. The 12-40mm is somewhat larger, but I'm inclined to give it a try. Would still like to hear from a P5 owner that uses this lens on their camera.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm sort of with you on this. I have the 12-35 and it's great optically, but I find when I want shallow DOF or use in low light I reach for a prime; and for daytime walkabout use, a slower zoom would do the trick. I'm thinking I might sell the 12-35 once I can source a 12-32 at a reasonable price.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Not optimal? It is f/2.8 12-40mm lens for photos sake!
    Its DoF is exactly same as 12-40mm in FF camera!

The light gathering is good enough, even f/3.5 is feasible but sure you can go to f/1.8 or even f/1.4 but then why not go to f/0.8 if really wanting light gathering capabilities?

The f/2.8 is a optimal for field work between special lenses and then limited workable lenses.

And its weight and size isn't a problem unless you want a pocket camera with a pancake lens. It does allow you to get amazing photos easily without hassle because manual focus and zoom what are both locked physically to lens, meaning when you pull the focus ring back, you have exactly the limited movement and lens focus always to position where the ring is. It is huge help in manual shooting.

And weight isn't a problem as it brings you extra stability, very nice when in low light with a IBIS when compared to way lighter and smaller ones.

Sure if you want the smallest and lightest camera, then probably even owning a m4/3 instead small Canon Ixus PnP is a mistake.

For the price point, if you don't need the IQ, weather proofed and manual focus/zoom capabilities with ultra fast and silent focus, then don't buy it, there are cheaper, smaller and lighter ones but not with a same features.

11. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I use them both. It works great! Its for taking taking pictures though, not for being small. I use it a lot more on my G6, but it works just as well if not better on my EP5.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    DoF depends on focal length and focus distance.
    As the framing at 40 mm will be totally different between m43 and FF, you will not stand at the same subject to your subject, so DoF will not be the same.

Standing at the same position with the same focusing distance, you will get the same DoF and the same angle of view:
    - with a m43 40mm f/2.8
    - with a 24x36 80mm f/5.6
    That's what the laws of optics say.
    In reality can depend on what lens you are using... especially for the way the bokeh renders.

Anyway, on m43, 12-40 f/2.8 is great if you don't want to increase your camera ISO Setting. It's a little limited for shallow DoF photography.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    i've used the 12-40/2.8 on the GX7 (similar dimensions to the E-P5), and the size seems fine. But that's when using the EVF, so the combination is stabilized against my body. For shooting at arms length using the LCD, it is a bit awkward.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You might have a very valid point for some shooters - especially when you factor in the luke warm reception in our community of the M. Zuiko 17mm ƒ2.8 and the PL 45 ƒ2.8 MACRO discussions on whether or not it was fast enough for portraits....

15. katiedaddy

katiedaddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    MD, USA
    I just got one from fellow member and I think it works fine on EP5.

16. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    works maybe fine but the body balance........?

Yesterday at photography's event, i attached this lens with my EM5 and the balance were not comfortable in my hand and tend heavier to the front. I'm not using vertical grip.

17. chrisada

chrisada Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2014
    Thailand
    Without the lens hood it would look much more balanced.

Using a zoom lens, you'll want to cradle the lens with one hand anyway to work the zoom. So I find that ergonomic is not a problem, although yes it is quite heavy for m43 lens.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

18. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Precisely. f2.8 constant zoom makes more sense on full frame or aps-c cameras (m43 needs f2 constant zooms). E.g., Canon 17-55mm f2.8 is just sufficient for shallow DoF at 55mm and is acceptable for lower light situations making it an ideal one lens solution. While on this forum we constantly hear that the difference between 1.5x and 2x crop is not significant for DOF, in reality, it makes all the difference between effective subject isolation at 2.8 and flat looking picture. This was perfectly demonstrated recently in one of the threads comparing Oly 25mm f1.8 vs PL 25 f1.4. When photographing from a distance, all it takes is the difference between 1.8 vs 1.4 to have a noticeable isolation. The difference between m43 and APS-C is about 1.4 vs 1.8. E.g., Sigma 60mm f2.8 makes more sense on APS-C for which it was designed in the first place. Oly 17mm f2.8 should be an affordable prime <$99 at which price it would be equal to Canon 22mm f2 pancake (currently $99) but not equal in build quality or aperture.