1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone using Leica R lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Darell Miller, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Darell Miller

Darell Miller Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2010
    Okay so late night mistake on evilbay and I ended up with an Elamrit 88mm R insted of M lens! :dash2:

Is anyone using the R series lenses on their m4/3? If so how have you found it? They're definitely heavier, which puts me off but are the results worthwhile. Would like an idea before purchasing an adapter.

Thanks.

2. Darell Miller

Jun 14, 2010
    Update: the awfulkmistake has now been sold on aforemntioned site and Yes it was properly and clearly advertised. Itook a bot of a hit but that will be my lesson not to go late night surfing on eBay!

3. amoebahydra

amoebahydra Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    I use Leica R series lenses a lot, from Super-Elmar-R 1:3.5/15mm to Apo-Telyt-R 1:5.6/800mm, and they are good. I use this series of lenses a lot and actually more than the M-series.

However, I have not heard of the "Elamrit 88mm T" lens. The only R-series lens between the range from 60mm to 90mm is Summilux-R 1:1.4/80mm.

PanG-1LeicaR80-14.

• Like Like x 1
  4. monkey66

monkey66 New to Mu-43

May 24, 2010
    How do you find the 'R's perform ...have been thinking about this for my G1.

5. amoebahydra

Jul 20, 2010
    They are my cup of tea and I found them excellent... samples of photos

LeicaNoctiluxsample0001.

L1230121.

L1404690.

20L1331528.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Darell Miller

Jun 14, 2010
    Thanks for taking the time to respond and share your experience and advice.

The phantom lens taht you mentioned is because in my frustration I mistyped Elmarit 28 as Elamrit 88! Still I have sold it on now as I decided I did not like the extra weight and I'm now awaiting the arrival of a Voigtlander 28mm f2 from someone on the site.

Thnaks again :thumbup:

7. amoebahydra

Jul 20, 2010

What a pity that you decided to give up, actually the Elmarit-R 1:2.8/28 lens is quite light. I use Elmarit 28mm lenses of both M and R for M4/3 camera.

The Leica 28mm lenses that I use, the second one in Olive green is the Elmarit-R 1:2.8/28 Safari....

LeicaMR28mmlenses.

• Like Like x 1
  8. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

I've never shown great interest in those R lenses, but your post woke me up :biggrin:

They seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the M equivalents ??? :confused:

What adaptor do you advice for them ?
    Is infinity focus always OK with µ4/3 cameras ?

CU,
    Rafael

9. amoebahydra

Jul 20, 2010
    I am not using one-piece Leica R to M4/3 adapter but instead I am using two methods for connecting Leica R lenses to my G-1 body; infinity focus can be achieved by both methods without difficulty.

1. Leica R to 4/3 adapter (Leica part nr 18628) + 4/3 to M4/3 adapter (Olympus MMF-2)

2. Leica R to Leica M adapter(Novoflex) + Leica M to M4/3 adapter

Most of the time I use method one as I always bring along my Leica D Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8-3.5/14-50mm Asph lens as general purpose lens which need the Oly MMF-2 anyway.

LeicaRM43.

• Like Like x 1
  10. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have 2 direct R - MFT adapters (one from Jinfinance, the second one I forgot, I think Rainbowimaging), both work without issues. I have a 50mm Summicron that I really like even though it has gotten less action since I picked up a 50mm Planar. The 60mm Macro Elmarit and the 250mm Telyt also work great on the GH1.

Stefan

11. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    R
    R lenses are great - bigger and heavier, typically, but focus closer and cost less! Work perfectly on m4/3

12. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Wow, this thread was pulled up out of the archive.

I have been regularly using R lenses since the Fall. I have the Elmarit 28 2.8, Summicron 50 2 and Macro-Elmar 100 4. I am very happy in how they work. Yes, they are a little heavy, especially with the adapters, but that doesn't really bother me.

13. ph.

ph. Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    norway
    I use several R optics on film as well as on full frame. When I temporarily lent away my Olympus optics some time ago, I had not taken into account that I do sometimes use the tiny& useful Olympus cameras, so now I use the R 21-35 as a substitute for the kit lens. Too big, hence wasting the small sensor size advantage of small lightweight lenses, but otherwise OK. Just tried some of the other Rs, all satisfactory on an Olympus MFT.

p.

14. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I was on the happy end of a great deal last fall with 2 R bodies and the three lenses, plus a rare Vivitar 600 f8 cannon in R-mount. I don't complain about the weight when I see the quality I get from the glass.

Elmarit-R 28
    Summicron-R 50
    Macro-Elmar-R 100

15. ph.

ph. Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    norway
    Addendum: I have now tried several of my Leica R optics with the R to mft Metabones reducer. Excellent results. At the moment the 60\2.8macro is mounted.

The 100 ApoMacro also performs well on that device, but is a bit long for handholding unless the light is good.

p

• Like Like x 1