1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone using Hugin to de-fish 7.5 Rok/Sam

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by letsgofishing, Feb 5, 2014.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Tried using it and I can't seem to get very satisfactory results....seems to me that the Samyang plug in for ACR is much better.
    Would appreciate comments/your experience.

Done with Hugin

Lens correction in PS

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    • Like Like x 1
  3. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Thanks for the link pdk42.....

4. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    My pleasure - I love my "Rokfish" (I have a Rokinon-branded version).

5. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I haven't got this lens (yet) but I've been playing around with Hugin using images I've grabbed from the Image Archive thread https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=16458

I've found you get better results if, in the Camera and Lens data dialog, you set the lens to Equisolid, and the focal length to 7.66 (7.5 is actually a rounded down value).

If you then set the output projection to Rectilinear, you will get nice straight horizontal lines. Everything else will look terrible, but the horizontals will look correct :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks for that Andy, I'll give it a try.

7. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Try also the Panini projection. Sometimes it works best. It will depend on the subject matter and on the camera inclination relative to the horizontal when shooting.

8. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I'm using Fisheye Hemi, works fine for me.

9. Jüri

Jüri Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Tartu
    Jüri
    I've done a bit of a research to find the best solution to defish photos taken by the 7,5mm. The workflow that is neccessary to defish an image in Hugin is quite unpleasant and time consuming and while the photos will have perfectly straight lines, the image aquires a very odd almost square format. Fisheye Hemi plugin for Photoshop preserves the ratio of image, but vertical lines will still have very notable "fish" effect. Using lens correction in Photoshop allows to straighten the lines, but some cropping will be required and for a perfect defish image has to be cropped to 16:9 ratio. I'm not an expert, but I don't think there is a possibility to preserve the image ratio and perform a full defish simultainously.

10. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    As a quick hack I'm quite happy with the results I get straight out of lightroom - I manually pick a Nikon fisheye lens profile (I think the 10.5mm) and then play about with the amount slider till I'm happy with the image. Takes about 10 seconds :)