1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone using E-P1 + MMF1 + Zuiko 50mm F2?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by brutto, Feb 20, 2011.

1. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 17, 2011
    How do you like the combo? Is the focus speed okay?

I'm considering this as an alternative to a manual focus 50mm probably 1.4 Rokkor which will certainly be much lower cost.

Thank you in advance for any opinions and advice.

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Used this on my E-P2 when I had it. Focusing is very slow but tends to be accurate (if your subject is a flower - pass on insects). I sold mine and am very happy with the PL 45mm.

If you are happy with MF, and a lot of people are for macro, try the Rokkor which is a stop faster than the 50 and two stops faster than the 45. I'm unfamiliar with that lens so I assume it is built as a close focusing lens - ie built for macro. If it's a general purpose lens it may be less suited for macro.

3. brutto

Feb 17, 2011
    Many thanks Bill. Sorry if I misled in the first post but it's not Macro I'm interested in. I often use a lens around 85mm to 135mm on my FF camera and would like something like this for my new E-P1. I'm not at all used to manual focus, hence the interest in the Zuiko 50mm F2. If as you say, the focus is slow, I may be better off to save the money and go manual anyway.

4. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I'm afraid I don't have the 50mm macro, but I do have the 35mm macro. Like the other 43 lenses I've used on m43 bodies, focusing is slow, so I suspect it will be the same with the 50mm. The results are nice, and I usually use a tripod, so the slow focus isn't a huge deal. This was the first 43 lens I tried out on my e-p1 and I felt like I had gone back in time to the mid-1980s as far as AF speed was concerned.

The upside is it makes AF with the 14-42 kit lens seem positively speedy in comparison!:rolleyes: 

Of course having said that, I have to admit I use my e-p1 more than any other camera I own, so obviously for me, AF speed is fast enough.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Why not consider the Leica 45mm. It's a native lens and very sharp. The macro is just a bonus. Af will be better than any adapted lens.

I don't have the 50. But I do have the Leica 25f1.4 and it feels very much like my old 85 1.2L Canon lens, except for the focal length.

Gordon

6. brutto

Feb 17, 2011
    I'd like to but unfortunately the Leica 45 is £550 plus here. I'm going to give manual focus a try. I think it'll be the Contax Zeiss Planar 50 mm f1.7. Anyone use that lens?

7. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Love the ZD 50/2 not the AF, it's agonizingly slow, I use this for macro as well as still shots, it's probably the sharpest lens i had owned. still keeping it hopefully the rumored pro m43 body will support PDAF better...dreaming perhaps...and being so sharp for portraits this may not be a trait:rolleyes: 

rokkor 50/1.4 is a pretty sharp lens wide open with nice color rendition, easily gotten at a fraction of the 50/2 as well, however, when stop down, it's easy to see the bokeh balls become hexagonal due to low blade count.

haven't tried the 50/1.7 to comment..hope that helps

8. brutto

Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks for the advice - very helpful. I have decided to stay clear of the Zuiko for the time being.

I haven't been able to find a 50/1.7 at a sensible price but I have picked up a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 and I'm liking it a lot. Manual focus on the E-P1 is working okay for me so far and the images I'm getting have a lovely feel to them.

9. brutto

Feb 17, 2011
    Rokkor 58mm f1.4

Just bought a Rokkor 58mm f1.4 on ebay for what seems like good price. Supposed to be perfect - let's hope so. Heard so many good things about this lens and can't wait to try it out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.