1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone using E-P1 + MMF1 + Zuiko 50mm F2?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by brutto, Feb 20, 2011.

1. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    How do you like the combo? Is the focus speed okay?

I'm considering this as an alternative to a manual focus 50mm probably 1.4 Rokkor which will certainly be much lower cost.

Thank you in advance for any opinions and advice.

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Used this on my E-P2 when I had it. Focusing is very slow but tends to be accurate (if your subject is a flower - pass on insects). I sold mine and am very happy with the PL 45mm.

If you are happy with MF, and a lot of people are for macro, try the Rokkor which is a stop faster than the 50 and two stops faster than the 45. I'm unfamiliar with that lens so I assume it is built as a close focusing lens - ie built for macro. If it's a general purpose lens it may be less suited for macro.

3. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Many thanks Bill. Sorry if I misled in the first post but it's not Macro I'm interested in. I often use a lens around 85mm to 135mm on my FF camera and would like something like this for my new E-P1. I'm not at all used to manual focus, hence the interest in the Zuiko 50mm F2. If as you say, the focus is slow, I may be better off to save the money and go manual anyway.

4. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I'm afraid I don't have the 50mm macro, but I do have the 35mm macro. Like the other 43 lenses I've used on m43 bodies, focusing is slow, so I suspect it will be the same with the 50mm. The results are nice, and I usually use a tripod, so the slow focus isn't a huge deal. This was the first 43 lens I tried out on my e-p1 and I felt like I had gone back in time to the mid-1980s as far as AF speed was concerned.

The upside is it makes AF with the 14-42 kit lens seem positively speedy in comparison!:rolleyes:

Of course having said that, I have to admit I use my e-p1 more than any other camera I own, so obviously for me, AF speed is fast enough.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Why not consider the Leica 45mm. It's a native lens and very sharp. The macro is just a bonus. Af will be better than any adapted lens.

I don't have the 50. But I do have the Leica 25f1.4 and it feels very much like my old 85 1.2L Canon lens, except for the focal length.

Gordon

6. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I'd like to but unfortunately the Leica 45 is £550 plus here. I'm going to give manual focus a try. I think it'll be the Contax Zeiss Planar 50 mm f1.7. Anyone use that lens?

7. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Love the ZD 50/2 not the AF, it's agonizingly slow, I use this for macro as well as still shots, it's probably the sharpest lens i had owned. still keeping it hopefully the rumored pro m43 body will support PDAF better...dreaming perhaps...and being so sharp for portraits this may not be a trait:rolleyes:

rokkor 50/1.4 is a pretty sharp lens wide open with nice color rendition, easily gotten at a fraction of the 50/2 as well, however, when stop down, it's easy to see the bokeh balls become hexagonal due to low blade count.

haven't tried the 50/1.7 to comment..hope that helps

8. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks for the advice - very helpful. I have decided to stay clear of the Zuiko for the time being.

I haven't been able to find a 50/1.7 at a sensible price but I have picked up a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 and I'm liking it a lot. Manual focus on the E-P1 is working okay for me so far and the images I'm getting have a lovely feel to them.

9. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Rokkor 58mm f1.4

Just bought a Rokkor 58mm f1.4 on ebay for what seems like good price. Supposed to be perfect - let's hope so. Heard so many good things about this lens and can't wait to try it out.