Anyone using Adapters?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Alpha Whiskey Photography, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Hi, Sorry if this has been covered before, but just wondered if anyone has used their non m4/3 lenses (e.g. Canon or Nikon DSLR glass) on their m4/3 bodies with adapters, and what kind of results you got.

I ask because the only thing stopping me from selling my Nikon D600 is that I can use it with my Nikon 70-200mm VRII. I realise that with adapters you lose AF and aperture control, two things I prefer to have when using my 70-200mm to shoot wildlife. Just wondered if anyone got decent image quality with adapters. Ultimately, I may sell the Nikon gear and get m4/3 equivalents (e.g. the impending Oly 40-150mm F/2.8), although I would miss the shallower DOF.

Thanks in advance for your responses :)

(Btw, if anyone thinks 200mm is too short for wildlife, either in captivity or the wild, please have a look HERE. Most of these images sold and covered the cost of the lens and then some. If your images aren't satisfying then you need to get closer :smile:)

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It is really only with doing with older mechanical lenses that have an aperture and focus ring.

What body do you have for MFT? If you have the EM1 it might be worthwhile to get an adapter and use the lenses designed for the 4/3 DSLRs.

Currently the closest lens for MFT to the Nikon you have is the Panasonic 35-100, until that Olympus comes out.

But if you have an EM1 you could use a lens like the Olympus 35-100 f/2

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    514 Forum threads devoted to sample images with adapted lenses by lens type over here.

4. \

Thank you!

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Lots of people adapting all kinds of lenses, but honestly going from what you've said I think you'd be better served by selling the 70-200 and getting either the Lumix 35-100/f2.8 (excellent) or upcoming m.ZD 40-150/f/2.8 (presumably excellent). Both will give the same or more range, same speed, and excellent native AF.

6. pickled

pickled New to Mu-43

Dec 25, 2013
    London
    Pete
    New to m43, but have been using adapted lenses on an E-P5 this last month. One wildlife example here: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=48763&page=12&p=573508#post573508

But unless you have a good knack for trap focusing or finding static subjects (and, really, even then), I'd expect you'd regret not having autofocus on your 70-200 for shooting wildlife.

I wouldn't worry too much about image quality degradation with an adaptor, though. The main concern would be if the lens wasn't truly flush, but with any reasonable adapter I think this is unlikely to show in real world, non-brick-wall, shooting situations. Well, unless you were truly focused at infinity rather than hyperfocal.

The pixel pitch on a modern m43 is a little smaller than on your D600, but about the same as on a D7100, which I believe works well enough with the Nikkor 70-200, so no concerns there, and there's no additional glass between your lens and the sensor (unless you get a metabones speed booster adapter, which might be an interesting option for you because it would make the effective focal length 1.5x full frame rather than at 2x as it would be on other adapters.)

Anyways, I'd be happy to enthuse about adapting lenses for almost any type of photography, but to my mind, sports/wildlife is one area where native is the best option even for someone in possession of nice adaptable glass.

• Like Like x 1
  7. earthwhile

earthwhile New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2013
    Pardon my lack of experience on forums...I hope I'm asking this question in the correct place.

I have an EPM2 and use some older, all-manual lenses including a sweet Canon FD 500mm f4.5 (used mostly on Panasonic GH3 for nature video, which I do all manual). There are dedicated buttons on the EPL5 for mf-assist, getting me up to 10x mag but no such button(s) on the EPM2 nor any feature in the always deeply convoluted world of Olympus menus. (I just called their cust service and mentioned the not-ease-of-use of said menus).

Does anybody know if the EPM2 has any way to activate an _x magnification mode for manual lens focus assist? This is a deal-breaker feature for me, as the long mf teles are my main tools for nature image-gathering work. I know there is a 2x mag mode on the fn button, but even with the vf4 viewfinder (a great piece of gear), it's not enough for critical focus.

Sure would be nice if there was an Olympus or Panasonic super-long tele, something in the 400-600mm(actual) range, f2.8 and f4, just like the big guys, with IS, quick auto-focus AND a manual iris ring for video usage. Perfect for Olympus and Panasonic camera usage. As the Olympus 300mm f2.8 is still so damn expensive, I would likely gag at the cost of these dreams-come-true.

Thanks for any help. Glad I'm here. You mostly seem like a respectful bunch, other than a few of you overly-fiesty ones.

8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Here is a link to my manual focus set on Flickr. Most of the photos are taken with an Fuji X-E1 (before they implemented focus peaking) and for the most part they all wildlife or macro shots. I just traded in my Fuji for E-M5 and just this evening got my FD adapter so not that many with the E-M5 yet. The ones I do have with the E-M5 are using my Lester A. Dine 105mm macro lens. While native lenses with AF would be nice most of what they are offer are on the rather slow side. I started in photography using manual focus lenses and find that I can still great shots using those same lenses today. Yes, you may miss some photos with manual focus and birds in flight are a real challenge but still possible. Later this year I plan to get the E-M1 then start a savings account so I can get the 300mm ƒ2.8 lens.

It really bothers me when people say you can do this or that with adapted lenses. You can, it is just not point and push button and takes a little time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/prehensile-pollex/sets/72157633279871585/

• Like Like x 2
  9. BW79ST

BW79ST New to Mu-43

Jan 13, 2014
    New York City
    Brian Wickham
    I also have the EM5 and I often use a Pentax 28mm f2 which has a nice DOF scale. I'm strictly amateur and use it at f8 with the zone focus method. Nice for walking around NY. I have it mounted via an adapter to 4/3 and that mounted to a Lumix DMW-MA1 4/3 to u4/3. I have found some cheap adapters directly to u4/3 but they were not in proper focal length registration.

10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    You can set the record button for magnification. Thats what I did for the PM2 when I had it.

Its usually impolite to use another persons thread to ask your own question - doubly so when the thread has been dead since last month :wink:

Edit: You also don't ask the same question in multiple threads...

11. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yes you can assign it to either of the two function buttons.

12. Hudson

Hudson Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2013
    Washington
    I used my Contax G lenses with an adaptor. For portraits and shots not requiring autofocus, the resolution was superior. Any movement, or any need to adjust focus really altered the experience, as the adaptor makes manual focus slow and annoying.

They would work well in a video application or portraits, shooting fixed subjects on a tripod. But in almost every real world shooting environment, the Olympus M4:3 lenses are a superior experience.

13. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I decided to use Voigtländer adapters after reading about problems with cheap adapters. They are more expensive but the quality is very high. I have two adapters currently: Nikon F to u4/3 and M mount to U4/3.

14. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I have been using the cheap adapters for over a year now. First on a Fuji X-E1 and now on my E-M5 and I honestly see no reason to buy anything but. When I had my X-E1 I thought about a more expensive one because I could not find a cheap one for Nikon that had a tripod mount, wanted for using my macro lens which is kind of heavy. Now that I have the E-M5 I can easily find cheap ones that have a tripod mount. I will stay with my cheap ones so I can get one for each lens, makes changing lenses so much easier when switching between my various native and adapted lenses.

15. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    I am planning in getting a metabones adapter.