1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone using a tablet as a second monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ill_dawg, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    For starters, let me just say that I travel a lot. I'm an English (ESL) teacher, and I generally try to move to a new country every year or two. Part of the fun of the job is travelling, after all, and it was this travelling and the need to keep everything light that led me to micro 4/3. The downside, though, is that it makes no sense for me to invest in a desktop setup that will be impossible to transport to the next country, or those sweet multiple monitor setups I keep drooling over. However, I do have a laptop and an Android tab, and today I decided it had to be possible to use the tab as a second monitor.

After a couple of false starts, I settled on air display avatron.com/apps/air-display#start. It just works out of the box, is compatible with mac/windows/android/ipad, and gives you a touchscreen second display for your grid or loupe in LR. All in all, great for selection and previews without shelling out for an extra monitor and being lumbered with the thing for the next few moves, using only the equipment I already had. The refresh rates could be better, but beggars can't be choosers.

Anyone else tried something similar? This is working about as well as I had hoped, but has anyone found anything even better?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

2. justinrphillips

justinrphillips Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2012
    I have my iPad setup so it can be used as a 2nd monitor on my MacBook Pro. This is great when I am traveling and doing a lot of photo editing. For Photoshop I have my tools over there and Lightroom I use it for my thumbnails. It is slower to navigate over to my iPad and with the res of the Ipad 3 things are very small!

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use my ipad as a second display to a macbook air using the same.

But neither (almost all laptops displays) are not ideal for photography.